Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice on 308 target bullet for 20" barrel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

need advice on 308 target bullet for 20" barrel

Im in the process of having a 20 inch 308 built. It's been a long time since I reloaded 308 and my old bullet, the 178 AMAX isnt around any more and is frankly an old design anyways.

So if you were going to choose 1 bullet to stock up on for target shooting what would you choose?

- 20 inch 1in10 barrel
    - 1100 yards is realistic furthest range
    - 1400 yards is available but would only be shot at for shits and giggles
    - Planned powder is Varget
    - Would like a bullet known for easy loading

I was thinking the 185 Berger Juggernaut because I read it does really well through transonic, but I hear the newer 168-175 weight class bullets are extending the super sonic range than the older designs.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The 185 Jug is an excellent bullet. Load them hot and let'm fly. I used to load this with MR2000 from a Winchester 22" at or about 2700fps-thumpers at 1k. The TMK's are decent as a second.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    This is way outside my wheelhouse, but if I were shooting 1,000+ yds, then I'd be looking at some of the VLD "very long distance" bullets. I think Nosler and Hornady each have a version...

Also, I'm a fan of .308, but if I were going to do much shooting past 1,000yds (or even past 500-600yds, which is my local range), and I were having a custom rifle built, then I would build it around a different cartridge...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Only spec I can’t relate to is the 20” barrel.

I know my 24” 308 pushes Berger 168 VLDs and even 168 SMKs to 1,000 yards with 44gr of Norma 203b (RL15) and they’re still supersonic at that range. I’ve been in the pit below targets as the bullets whiz over head and the supersonic crack is there. The berm still sounded like Nolan Ryan slammed a fastball into it at point blank range. That’s my experience.
    Last edited by matemike; 04-01-21 at 09:14.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I know my 24” 308 pushes Berger 168 VLDs and even 168 SMKs to 1,000 yards with 44gr of Norma 203b (RL15) and they’re still subsonic at that range.
    I bet you meant "supersonic" there...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Ah yes. Fixed it . TY
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    175 smks are fine. If you want more B.C., the 175 TMKs fly flatter. We've got a buddy shooting the 155 TMS out of a 16" gas gun to 1300 yards.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Newer, sleeker designs may need to be seated more deeply than desired if being fed from a magazine.

I really like the 185 gr Juggernaut as well, aa well as the old standby 175 gr SMK.

I’ve had great results from Nosler RDF’s out to 1k in 6.5 mm cartridges, though I’ve never tried them in .30 cal. Relatively inexpensive, too, for stockpiling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This is way outside my wheelhouse, but if I were shooting 1,000+ yds, then I'd be looking at some of the VLD "very long distance" bullets. I think Nosler and Hornady each have a version...

Also, I'm a fan of .308, but if I were going to do much shooting past 1,000yds (or even past 500-600yds, which is my local range), and I were having a custom rifle built, then I would build it around a different cartridge...
    I already have an AI 6.5 CM
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Not sure if you’re joking or it really is outside your wheelhouse but vld stands for Very Low Drag and while they have high BCs they are also typically finicky to load and shoot, which is the opposite of the “known for easy loading” ask. But I agree on the different cartridge.

To the op I’ll make a few suggestions. The juggernaut has an excellent reputation but may be hard to come by. For target only Take a look at the Palma bullets. They’re all 155g but lapua makes an interesting one that has the basic size and shape of the 168g but a hollow nose. So you can push it faster than the 168g because it’s lighter. You’ll lose some velocity cause your bbl is 10” shorter than Palma but hey...

More later. Pizza joint is kicking me out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast