Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice on 308 target bullet for 20" barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Not sure if you’re joking or it really is outside your wheelhouse but vld stands for Very Low Drag...
    I wasn't kidding. I didn't even know what VLD stood for!

Feedback Score
    Ok... if money is no object the 176g hornady a tip would be a solid choice.

The other good long range bullet is https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...r-eld-match#!/

Good luck finding anything in stock these days though.

If you really want to work for it, find vapor trail bullets. Best bet is fb and look for tom jacobs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok... if money is no object the 176g hornady a tip would be a solid choice.

The other good long range bullet is https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...r-eld-match#!/

Good luck finding anything in stock these days though.

If you really want to work for it, find vapor trail bullets. Best bet is fb and look for tom jacobs
    I've read on other forums where guys have argued about the 200 weight class bullets. Some argued that you can't push them fast enough in a 308 (add in a shorter barrel) to take advantage of the high BC. What do you think?

The ELD-M 140s shoot amazing in my 6.5 and give me noticeably flatter trajectory and less wind drift than the 140 SMKs that I'm currently shooting.

Supplies are slowly starting to become more available around here and hopefully when the rifle is done in 4-5 months they will be more easily found.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    i haven't shot 308 in a very long time, so i'm just going off what some of my friends have done and using calculator to compare. some of them are known to push limits on reloading but they've had good results at long range with them

i plugged the 208g eldm and 178g eldm into jbm ballistics online and kept everything else default. if you run the 208g at 2400 fps and the 178g eldm at 2700 fps, the lighter bullet is a lot flatter shooting by like 50 inches, but the heavier bullet has 12" less wind deflection at 1000.

i'm also guessing at speeds, based on hodgdon book max for varget on 208g amax (not eldm) and 175g sierra.

i suppose one could make the argument that the flatter shooting cartridge would experience less wind at max ord as the wind on the ground is typically a little slower than the wind 5' higher and that might eat away at some of that wind advantage. TOF is only 7 hundredths of a sec diff so about a 10% difference in lead on movers at 500 with advantage going to lighter bullet.

as long as you've got a 1-10 twist or better, i'd say it's worth trying a box. see how well they group. assuming everything groups the same, my choice would be the bullet with the least wind

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i haven't shot 308 in a very long time, so i'm just going off what some of my friends have done and using calculator to compare. some of them are known to push limits on reloading but they've had good results at long range with them

i plugged the 208g eldm and 178g eldm into jbm ballistics online and kept everything else default. if you run the 208g at 2400 fps and the 178g eldm at 2700 fps, the lighter bullet is a lot flatter shooting by like 50 inches, but the heavier bullet has 12" less wind deflection at 1000.

i'm also guessing at speeds, based on hodgdon book max for varget on 208g amax (not eldm) and 175g sierra.

i suppose one could make the argument that the flatter shooting cartridge would experience less wind at max ord as the wind on the ground is typically a little slower than the wind 5' higher and that might eat away at some of that wind advantage. TOF is only 7 hundredths of a sec diff so about a 10% difference in lead on movers at 500 with advantage going to lighter bullet.

as long as you've got a 1-10 twist or better, i'd say it's worth trying a box. see how well they group. assuming everything groups the same, my choice would be the bullet with the least wind
    Thanks. Ill probably give them a try. Drop difference doesnt matter much as Im dialing for it anways. And if I dont care for them Ill give the rest to Markm and Pappabear to try in their 300 WMs.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks. Ill probably give them a try. Drop difference doesnt matter much as Im dialing for it anways. And if I dont care for them Ill give the rest to Markm and Pappabear to try in their 300 WMs.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    If it helps, this is my favorite free calculator:

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

Click on "Compare 2 bullets..." and it'll spit out tables of info.

It shows wind-drift, too, which AFAIK is not quite analogous with drop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    If it helps, this is my favorite free calculator:

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

Click on "Compare 2 bullets..." and it'll spit out tables of info.

It shows wind-drift, too, which AFAIK is not quite analogous with drop.
    Cool. Never seen that site. I always used jbm but the comparison is a handy feature

Feedback Score
    Cool. Never seen that site.
    Yeah, gundata.org is kind of clunky, but it's easy been easy enough for me to generate the graphs/tables I want, crop them, print them, and laminate them as dope cards...

Feedback Score

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast