Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a .308 AR

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Help me build a .308 AR

I bought a stripped Larue billet AR-10 lower last week. Allegedly it will be delivered in 2 weeks. I’m wanting to build this up as a do all multi-purpose “battle rifle”. I want accuracy but not a lot of weight and not looking for extreme precision. It will probably get a LPVO, a 16” barrel and be used with a Griffin RSTA. It will more than likely be chambered in .308 due to ammo “availability” and when I get a 6.5 I’ll get a bolt gun. I’m a noob with AR-10s other than a fam fire with a SR-25.
    -I know the Larue lowers are M-110/SR-25 pattern and Larue, KAC, LMT uppers will fit. Are their any brand uppers I have over looked?
    -What lower parts from 5.56 lowers will work?
    -Which CH and BCG to get?
    -Receiver extension, buffer and spring? Is an A5 RE a thing with these?
    -Are triggers AR-10 specific? Probably get a Geissle or Larue.
    -Should I build an upper re group or just save up for a KAC or Larue factory built upper? Not really considering LMT for this due to weight.

Feedback Score
    I figure the LaRue Ultimate Upper Receiver kit could be a good fit. The Centurion Arms upper receivers would also be compatible, though I don't think they are sold separate from an upper/lower set, same issue with Zev. The V7 upper is sold separately, but will be difficult to find.

I am looking to swap out my Geissele SD-C with a TriggerTech AR10, due to issues with light primer strikes when shooting M80 clones from PP, Federal, and MEN. Hopefully getting the TT within the next week or so. AR-15 triggers certainly work, they just may lack enough spring power or hammer weight to reliably ignite the harder milsurp large primers (I personally had significantly less light strikes with non-milsurp ammo, e.g., FGMM).

The A5 RE can be used, you just have to use the right combination of springs and buffers. My SR-25 upper came with a spring and buffer that worked with the A5 RE (really just the UBR 2.0 integrated RE), I've since switched to the Slash Heavy Buffer XH Carbine Buffer with an Armalite EA1095 spring.

The LMT has lightweight barrels that can help bring down the weight; the use of an aluminum locking collar rather than a steel one, along with a lighter barrel profile. Can save you 10.7 oz. I think most people will push you toward a complete upper, as building your own may lead to a lot of troubleshooting, given that the large frame AR is much less mature than the AR-15; it's gotten a lot better over the years, but still nowhere near as proven out as the AR-15 in terms of the ability to mix-and-match parts.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 04-01-21 at 12:52.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la męme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01

These work great. A5 length. KAC and LMT went with the Armalite set up over the shorter DPMS Set up. IMO, this should be the route everyone takes when building a home brewed large frame. They’re in stock
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 04-08-21 at 13:49.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    1. Someone mentioned Centurion. I had forgotten that one, otherwise just aware of the Big 3.

2. I can speak to the Aero M5 only... Pivot/takedown pins were different, along with mag catch, and I think also the bolt catch.

3. I got a Radian Raptor large frame CH; I know the LMT one didn’t seem to be certain to work. Not sure about recommended BCG’s, but Toolcraft makes some, and I think Brownells did (in addition to retro?).

4. A5 is a correct receiver extension to use with a standard carbine H3 buffer. I’d recommend using the LMT MWS receiver extension kit. Gives you everything. Worked well for me, known quality from people who have it figured out. I’ve used the same receiver extension with an AR A5 setup, too, so can’t go wrong with the purchase.

5. Trigger should not have to be large frame specific, but it seems like people can have difficulty if the hammer is lightened. I used a Hiperfire Heavy Gunner.

6. I’m cheap... I guess my question is whether you could find a “mil-spec” (slant) upper receiver for sale stripped. I built mine, so looked for the lightest barrel available. Went with a 20” pencil Brownells’s barrel. Lighter than my shorter AR-15’s.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why not do the LaRue upper kit?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    1. Just noticed that V7’s 308 uses the slant pattern.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    1. Just noticed that V7’s 308 uses the slant pattern.
    Yeah I think GAP (think they only sell complete rifles) and Seekins also have slant receivers. The reason I was interested in a stripped upper and doing a full build is the worry of the upper becoming a “controlled item”. Looking like for the upper I’m going to have to save up and buy a factory built Larue, KAC or LMT. I’m still waiting on the lower and will update when I start actually procuring parts to finish it out.

Feedback Score
    I didn't know much about AR10s when I started out on my AR10 build, but I did a lot of research on the 2 different platforms. I came up with this right here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...perfect-308-AR

I was very happy with it, but I only built it because I "wanted" it.
    I didn't really have a need for it. In the end, I just didn't see the need to be lugging around the extra weight, and sold it off.
    I miss it, and I still think it really was the perfect .308 AR, but I only have so much to spend on things, and I didn't really "need" a .308 AR, so the money went elsewhere.
    I did save the PA 1-8, for my Larue Tactical Stealth 2.0. Really love the ACSS reticle, and it matches up with the 5.56 out of the 18" barrel very well. It got the light, and sights as well.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 04-14-21 at 08:39.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I was very happy with it, but I only built it because I "wanted" it.
    I didn't really have a need for it. In the end, I just didn't see the need to be lugging around the extra weight, and sold it off.
    I miss it, and I still think it really was the perfect .308 AR, but I only have so much to spend on things, and I didn't really "need" a .308 AR, so the money went elsewhere.
    All this. Exactly my reason for building and resultant selling. Mine didn’t even weigh more than an AR15.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Email conversation I had with Noveske today-

Me: Are y’all’s 7.62 parts SR-25/AR-10 or DPMS pattern?

Noveske: Hi XXX

Yes, they are on the SR/25, DPMS platform. Thank you!

Me: So are they SR25 or DPMS pattern?

Noveske: The SR25 and DPMS are the same pattern. We are on the “High profile” now. Years ago our N6 was on the original Armalite platform and that is mostly proprietary and won’t work with our newer rifles.

Me: You guys use curved or slant lowers?

So your 7.62 parts aren’t compatible with Knight’s Armament, Larue or Daniel Defense then correct?

Still waiting for a reply to my last email. Am I missing something though? I have always thought AR-10 and SR-25 are the same pattern with the “slant receivers” and DPMS was a separate pattern with the “curved receivers”? When I say AR-10 I meant the original pattern not the reintroduction AR-10b, didn’t it have a “b” suffix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast