Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *UPDATE* Disappointing outcome - first time out with .308 build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I'm guessing misalligned gas block as well. Overpassed is usually the problem. And your underpassed, so yes check that block.

Good luck.

PB
    The barrel is dimpled and I did use the WC gas block but I plan to disassemble it tonight to verify alignment. I shot enough rounds that there should be carbon residue around the barrel gas port as the port in the gas block is larger in diameter. If it’s misaligned I will feel pretty stupid but relieved at the same time. I was extremely careful when I installed it

Feedback Score
    Duplicate post again...
    Last edited by Black_Sheep; 04-02-21 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    The barrel is dimpled and I did use the WC gas block but I plan to disassemble it tonight to verify alignment. I shot enough rounds that there should be carbon residue around the barrel gas port as the port in the gas block is larger in diameter. If it’s misaligned I will feel pretty stupid but relieved at the same time. I was extremely careful when I installed it
    I've chased my ass on accuracy only to find out later that my scope base was ever so slightly loose. So I get the Feel stupid and relieved at the same time. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    I've chased my ass on accuracy only to find out later that my scope base was ever so slightly loose. So I get the Feel stupid and relieved at the same time. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the barrel is dimpled (with it in the correct location), and you put the set screw into the dimple, that should pretty much guarantee proper alignment.

I presume this is your only 308.

I had issues with a 308 dropping brass out of the ejection port, vs throwing it. I pulled the Aero BCG and replaced it with a Noveske BCG, and the issue disappeared.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doubled....
    Last edited by grizzman; 04-03-21 at 09:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post
    This sounds like a gas issue. What is the port diameter?

Dan
    .075” the gas block was perfectly aligned

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Can you pull the ch back and it locks open on empty mag? Rule out the mag and bolt release
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The gas port sounds like it's good to go, size wise. Make sure there's nothing obstructing it, like metal shavings or debris. Then do the same for the gas tube, gas block, and gas key. Also perform the gas ring check on the BCG.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    The gas port sounds like it's good to go, size wise. Make sure there's nothing obstructing it, like metal shavings or debris. Then do the same for the gas tube, gas block, and gas key. Also perform the gas ring check on the BCG.
    The weight of the bolt carrier precludes this. If you’re unsure replace the gas rings and be done.

He should put it back together lube the hell out of her and go shooting.
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast