Thread: Lake City primer crimp

Feedback Score

Lake City primer crimp

Can any more experienced reloaders comment on how often they have to deal with circular primer crimps? I have a few cases of LC 10 & 12 brass that doesn’t need swaging or reaming.

Is this common? I’ve encountered a few sites that relate similar experiences and don’t want to screw up pockets that don’t need processing.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The crimp need only be removed once, sounds like you have brass, if you’re able to seat primers then there’s nothing to worry about as far as the crimp goes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    The crimp need only be removed once, sounds like you have brass, if you’re able to seat primers then there’s nothing to worry about as far as the crimp goes.
    I certainly don’t want to shorten brass life by reaming or swaging unnecessarily, but was wondering if others experienced wimpy circular crimps? The 4 point stakes were PIA, but this is my first time with circular crimps.

Feedback Score
    I’ve done those crimps. Remove them once and move on. Same methods work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had some annular crimps that would accept primers, but it seems odd that you have primed several thousand without issues with the crimp still in place. What primer brand/size are you using?

There shouldn't be any case longevity change from removing an annular or staked pocket crimp, very similar to chamfering the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    CCI450

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    CCI450
    That does seem odd since that is pretty much an average diameter. Thought you might have had a foreign primer that was the reverse of Federal standard smalls that are a little larger than others.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    I certainly don’t want to shorten brass life by reaming or swaging unnecessarily
    I've never had reaming shorten brass life. Sometimes the mild crimps don't need any removal. I can usually feel it when I de-cap... heavier crimps are noticeable when pushing out the old primer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v