Thread: Dwell Time Percentage Differences

Feedback Score

Dwell Time Percentage Differences

Dwell Time is amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel after it has passed the gas port.

Post Port Lengths (Carbine Gas System)

16” barrel = 9” post port
    14.5” barrel = 7.5” post port
    12.5” barrel = 5.5” post port
    11.5” barrel = 4.5” post port
    10.5” barrel = 3.5” post port

So what are the dwell time percentage increases and decreases between these barrel lengths?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    For clarification Paul Buffoni at BCM said;
    "The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time."

So what % longer is 12.5 than 10.5 and what % increase is the dwell time?

I'm not sure how to do the math...
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A lot deals with the velocity of the bullet from the gas port towards the muzzle and if it is still accelerating and if so what is the rate of acceleration. Then, is the acceleration at a constant rate or is it changing?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Look at the chart on the bottom of this page: http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

It does not show 12.5" numbers, but the dwell time should be roughly .140 - .150 ms.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-04-21 at 09:06.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    As a rough approximation of time, you can just use the physical length at a constant (muzzle) velocity.

Of course, the bullet is always accelerating and velocity increases with barrel length.

What's important to remember is there is no universally ideal dwell time for all configurations.

Everything should be proportional when it comes to gas system parameters.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That chart shows 10.5” and 11.5”, so adding the delta should get you reasonably close to 12.5”.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Dwell Time is amount of time the bullet spends in the barrel after it has passed the gas port.

So what are the dwell time percentage increases and decreases between these barrel lengths?
    Dwell time as defined above has nothing to do with function.

-If it did, the carrier would be pressurized and moving before the bullet left the barrel.

-If the carrier was pressurized and moving before the bullet left the barrel, it would be pressurized and moving while the bullet was in the same place in the barrel regardless of distance from port to muzzle.

-If the carrier was pressurized and moving when the bullet was in the same critical place in the barrel, adding barrel length after the gas port location would not increase gas flow to the carrier thus increasing carrier speed.

-If the carrier was pressurized and moving when the bullet was in that critical place in the barrel, adding a suppressor would not increase gas flow to the carrier thus increasing carrier speed.

However, adding barrel length after the port or adding a suppressor does increase flow to the carrier and does increase carrier speed. Therefore, something else must be going on.

In fact, the carrier doesn't pressurize and begin moving until after the bullet leaves the muzzle. The system is pressurized by the residual pressure left in the system after the bullet exits the muzzle. The longer the distance from the gas port to the muzzle, the longer it takes the system to blow down.

A suppressor has the same affect. Suppressor reduce noise by cooling the gas and slowing down its escape from the muzzle. This keeps pressure in the system higher for a longer period. This increases flow to the carrier and thus increases carrier speed.

The time difference for a bullet to travel an extra 1.5 inch is a fraction of a millisecond and has nothing to how the AR functions. However, blowdown rate is very important to function and span of operation.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-04-21 at 17:06.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post

I did some of the math in this post:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...07#post2173607

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I did some of the math in this post:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...07#post2173607
    Thanks for link to your calculations.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis