Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I bought a new 6920 yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    There was a thing a couple years ago where BCM lowers had trouble with Gen 3 PMAGs. That said, as much as I like Colts, I've never considered Colt on par with BCM.

Colt is the lowest acceptable grade AR in my opinion, behind BCM, DD, Centurion, Scionics, LMT, and KAC. You can rely on them with your life, but you can get better quality for more money. That said, I'd never feel under equipped with one.
    You have to love the back handed compliment with the over used line “That said”. There is always one on a Colt thread bashing. “It’s the lowest acceptable grade in my opinion” but give no reasons. BCM...lol. Wow

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    Many complained about 19/20??? I’ve not heard that one. That was a great era for Colt 6920. Always someone trying to say this crap.
    I can’t verify actual problems that people had, but guys complained that sometimes the bolts and barrels weren’t clearly indicative they were Colt MPI/HP, etc. as well as bolts and carriers with no indication they were actually made by Colt. Some questioned if the dealer didn’t steal the BCGs and replace them with Anderson. Then the typical cosmetic complaints of bad rollmarks, poor finish, finished that didn’t match, etc.

A dealer local to me speculated that Colt was buying parts from other companies and slapping guns together and not QC’ing the outsourced parts. He told me he wouldn’t buy a Colt made in that era. He did have one on the shelf and demonstrated the differences vs the older Carbines he personally owned. Did those things make it a bad gun? I cannot say for sure, but it did appear a Colt from ‘19 was different than Colts from years prior.

I’m personally in the market for a few of them myself if the new ones are good to go. I want to equip my household with 6920s as a good basic carbine and set them all up the same with a red dot sight, a white light, and a descent side-mounting sling. I really wish the sling mount was still factory-equipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    It really depends on what you want! An LMT MRP is a bit heavy for me but, if you want to stack clip-on optics it is hard to beat. Barrel//caliber swaps are also pretty easy.

KAC products are a bit like saying a Porsche 911 is finished too nicely, is too reliable, and is much faster than you really need. My Mod 2 LPR is a real honey of a rifle and I would NOT trade it for three 6920's.
    You have to separate features from build quality though. Colts are quality through and through. That's why they last so long, are so accurate, and are really the only SBRs that hold up well enough to trust your life with. To get something better you have to completely leave the milspec platform, and arguably the AR platform entirely.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I can’t verify actual problems that people had, but guys complained that sometimes the bolts and barrels weren’t clearly indicative they were Colt MPI/HP, etc. as well as bolts and carriers with no indication they were actually made by Colt. Some questioned if the dealer didn’t steal the BCGs and replace them with Anderson. Then the typical cosmetic complaints of bad rollmarks, poor finish, finished that didn’t match, etc.

A dealer local to me speculated that Colt was buying parts from other companies and slapping guns together and not QC’ing the outsourced parts. He told me he wouldn’t buy a Colt made in that era. He did have one on the shelf and demonstrated the differences vs the older Carbines he personally owned. Did those things make it a bad gun? I cannot say for sure, but it did appear a Colt from ‘19 was different than Colts from years prior.

I’m personally in the market for a few of them myself if the new ones are good to go. I want to equip my household with 6920s as a good basic carbine and set them all up the same with a red dot sight, a white light, and a descent side-mounting sling. I really wish the sling mount was still factory-equipped.

That wouldn't surprise me one little bit. Not talking on a massive scale or anything, but I could definitely see an isolated case of a Gunbroker/Armslist dealer doing that. Well, actually I could see several doing it, and turning out thousands of them that way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    You have to love the back handed compliment with the over used line “That said”. There is always one on a Colt thread bashing. “It’s the lowest acceptable grade in my opinion” but give no reasons. BCM...lol. Wow
    Yup, I used "that said" twice. Not at all sorry that your vag got sandy because I don't consider Colt the pinnacle of the AR world. It isn't. Grow a pair, reach down deep, and come to terms with reality.

Knowing there are better rifles isn't bashing anything; it's keeping reality in perspective. Try it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup, I used "that said" twice. Not at all sorry that your vag got sandy because I don't consider Colt the pinnacle of the AR world. It isn't. Grow a pair, reach down deep, and come to terms with reality.

Knowing there are better rifles isn't bashing anything; it's keeping reality in perspective. Try it.
    It really is, though. Anything that bests a Colt isn't technically speaking an AR anymore, because the parts are so heavily modified that they're no longer interchangeable. As far as an AR that still mostly conforms to the datasheets, at least enough to be interchangeable, Colt absolutely is the pinnacle.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I get what you’re saying. I wouldn’t necessarily say better, I would say there are other more evolved or refined ARs. I have way too many ARs including Colt and other manufacturers but a couple of my favorites are my two Colt 6960 midlengths. And by far one of my most reliable and used in my collection is my LE6920 with the restricted markings I got shortly after sunset of the AWB.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It really is, though. Anything that bests a Colt isn't technically speaking an AR anymore, because the parts are so heavily modified that they're no longer interchangeable. As far as an AR that still mostly conforms to the datasheets, at least enough to be interchangeable, Colt absolutely is the pinnacle.
    ^This is quite the logical contortion. Using your "logic," can't we also say that a Colt isn't a true Armalite Rifle because it doesn't conform to the original?

Quote Originally Posted by arptsprt View Post
    I get what you’re saying. I wouldn’t necessarily say better, I would say there are other more evolved or refined ARs. I have way too many ARs including Colt and other manufacturers but a couple of my favorites are my two Colt 6960 midlengths. And by far one of my most reliable and used in my collection is my LE6920 with the restricted markings I got shortly after sunset of the AWB.
    ^Like I said, they ARE nice. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is quite the logical contortion. Using your "logic," can't we also say that a Colt isn't a true Armalite Rifle because it doesn't conform to the original?

Like I said, they ARE nice. Glad you're enjoying yours.
    That's not what I said. I'm saying out of the standard options Colt is indeed the leader of the pack, and by a large margin. If you have the cheddar by all means spring for an LMT or KAC, but you can't say that Colt is somehow mediocre or lacking compared to other milspec options. It is in fact hands down the best AR on the market currently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmorris View Post
    I just bought one of these as well. I’ll pull it out and compare markings. I also bought one of the 20 in A4 clones. I’m not impressed with the triggers. Both are CR prefix guns.
    Guessing about 25 yrs ago I took a Colt 20" Hbar of mine to a local gunsmith to have him 'fix' the turd / brick of a trigger it came with. He definitely fixed it. Felt worlds better in all regards. (still does)

Impossible to tell by looking what was done to those parts but they are ALL still the factory parts and have functioned 100% reliably over the many years and several cases of ammo I have fired from that particular rifle.

Having measuring tools now that I did not have back then - I pulled that rifle out a few weeks back and measured the trigger. It was / is a consistent 3 1/4lb pull, and smooth...

For comparison: The LE 6920 lowers I have that came with factory triggers looking like this both fell under under 6lbs pull weight out of the box:

The ones that looked like this usually fall around 8ish lbs:
    (Factory Colt parts on left)

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast