Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Value

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Both go for $1 at TX gun shows. If you trade with a dealer you'll have to pay some boot to do the deal. You'll find an individual to trade straight up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    $30-$35/box is about the price here

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Thanks, Andy...

I would also differentiate between my "stockpiling" for my own use and your "hoarding" or "speculating" with the intention re-selling for a profit.

Again, I'm a staunch believer in the free market, and I'm happy to see fools parted from their money, and the current hysteria isn't impinging on me directly, so go for it...

However, this kind of speculation in the ammo market is undeniably prolonging the shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    (It was at that point that I bought tens of thousands of CCI #34 and #41 primers.)

The same with the Newtown panic in early '13...

Once a guy has 50K or 100K or 200K primers, he stops buying (or at least, he only buys when they're really dirt cheap).
    From what you have said yourself, You have been hoarding.

50k is way past a normal stockpile friend. Hoarding like that has contributed to the shortage we are in now.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post

50k is way past a normal stockpile friend. Hoarding like that has contributed to the shortage we are in now.
    Since you have said it twice, feel free to explain how.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Both go for $1 at TX gun shows. If you trade with a dealer you'll have to pay some boot to do the deal. You'll find an individual to trade straight up.
    Do not doubt you but damn that is high for .45 ammo.

Sadly, I do not expect things will get better before they get worse. How much worse is open for debate but I definitely see 'worse' coming before things slowly start to creep back down.

I recently checked on Zero Bullets just to see what things were like with them and was somewhat surprised to see absolutely everything gone and listed prices for all of those unavailable items has increased a good bit from where it was last year. Seems as though everything related to reloading has gone up more than a little bit and fast here lately. Primers, bullets, brass...

Feedback Score

I just looked at the spreadsheet in which I keep track of components. I have over 70,000 primers: ≈30,000 SPPs; 1,300 LPPs; 21,000SRPs; and 20,000 LRPs.

I shoot several thousand rounds of centerfire ammo per year, and I'm in my late 40s, and I like to think I probably have a lifetime supply of primers...

Having tens-of-thousands of primers on hand might not seem "normal" to you, but I'm guessing it's pretty normal among the regulars here.

FWIW, I bought most of those eight or ten or more years ago, and I bought them when they were cheap and plentiful.

If I (and a lot of other like-minded people) hadn't stocked up then, and if inventory had continued to pile up and prices had continued to fall, then manufacturers would have cut capacity, and then the "shortage" that we have now would be even worse.

Note, too, that I bought them to use them, not to "flip" them as prices rise. (Don't even ask: I'm not selling. I'd be happy to loan a sleeve or two to any friends who need 'em, but everybody I know either doesn't reload or has his own stockpile.)

I recently checked on Zero Bullets just to see what things were like with them and was somewhat surprised to see absolutely everything gone and listed prices for all of those unavailable items has increased a good bit from where it was last year. Seems as though everything related to reloading has gone up more than a little bit and fast here lately. Primers, bullets, brass...
    I've posted a couple weeks ago on this forum: I was pleasantly surprised that Summers had bullets in stock (even .401s and .452s) and shipped almost immediately, and the prices were quite good (7.2¢ for .40; 8.4¢ for .45).
    Last edited by Bimmer; 04-07-21 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I confess, I have about 30K in primers, some powder, bullets. Maybe a bit over 25K in .22LR.

I acquired all that over the last several years, since Sandy Hook, little by little. I prefer to call it stockpiling. Hoarding implies acquiring unnecessary things to assuage irrational anxieties. Stockpiling is saving up for a rainy day.

And I don't see how I'm contributing to the present situation. I'm acquiring nothing from current production. Indeed, my stash keeps me out of the current market; I'm one fewer person competing for resources.

Feedback Score
    Maybe a bit over 25K in .22LR...
    Now it's my turn to be jealous...

I had 11,000+ of high-vel .22lr last summer.

Then my daughter and I started shooting "Rimfire Challenge," and I bought a Glock 44 and a Thompson-Center T/CR22, and now we're down to barely 7,000rnds.

At the rate we're going, if this "shortage" doesn't end by the summer of 2022, then I'll be one of the schmucks lined up to pay $40 for a brick...

And I don't see how I'm contributing to the present situation. I'm acquiring nothing from current production. Indeed, my stash keeps me out of the current market; I'm one fewer person competing for resources.
    Amen...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do not doubt you but damn that is high for .45 ammo.

Sadly, I do not expect things will get better before they get worse. How much worse is open for debate but I definitely see 'worse' coming before things slowly start to creep back down.

Because gun shows aren't a good comparison. I was still seeing Sandy Hook price stickers in 2018.

Want a good comparison look at SGAmmo, Target Sports USA and maybe one other I'm forgetting. Then see who's selling for similar prices in your area

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was in a local gun shop yesterday and they had pallets of ammunition on the floor. They had 9mm, .45 ACP and .223 rounds. Federal .45 ACP fmj ammunition was $39.99 per box.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast