Thread: Optic suggestions for A4 DMR build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Optic suggestions for A4 DMR build

I found a few “deals” (in 2021 dollars) over the weekend so I ordered the parts to build a 20 inch A4. It’s not going to be a match rifle, I just want to be able to wring out the extra FPS a 20 inch tube is giving me. Basically I’m thinking this will be a range gun and occasional hog/varmint hunter, and I’ll probably be popping off the optic sometimes and shooting with the carry handle when I want to get my retro on. I doubt I’ll be shooting over 300 yards with it, so I don’t need anything ultra long range. I will admit I’m not super smart on optics—I generally shoot red dots and I hunt with an old school duplex scope. So I would like something where I can start to learn how to dial and build dope just to make me a better shooter.

Right now I’m thinking of going with one of the Primary Arms ACSS scopes, but I’m open minded. I’m probably looking to spend less than 1k unless there’s a really good reason to upgrade.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I love the new Athlon Helos 2-12 FFP. Compact, lightweight, locking turrets with zero stop, illuminated reticle, decent mil-based holdovers with line thickness that works well for DMR-type applications, and good-enough glass. $499 pretty much everywhere.

I am not a glass snob; clarity is excellent, just a tinge of CA in the out of focus parts of the image, a bit of distortion around the edges of the lenses. Nothing I even notice in normal use.

Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Why not go with something like the Elcan 1.5x/6x. Easily doable out to 300 yards, hog hunting, and it has QD levers.

Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I found a few “deals” (in 2021 dollars) over the weekend so I ordered the parts to build a 20 inch A4. It’s not going to be a match rifle, I just want to be able to wring out the extra FPS a 20 inch tube is giving me. Basically I’m thinking this will be a range gun and occasional hog/varmint hunter, and I’ll probably be popping off the optic sometimes and shooting with the carry handle when I want to get my retro on. I doubt I’ll be shooting over 300 yards with it, so I don’t need anything ultra long range. I will admit I’m not super smart on optics—I generally shoot red dots and I hunt with an old school duplex scope. So I would like something where I can start to learn how to dial and build dope just to make me a better shooter.

Right now I’m thinking of going with one of the Primary Arms ACSS scopes, but I’m open minded. I’m probably looking to spend less than 1k unless there’s a really good reason to upgrade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Why not go with something like the Elcan 1.5x/6x. Easily doable out to 300 yards, hog hunting, and it has QD levers.
    Price is a big one, frankly. Elcan's are cool and I saw them used in A-stan, so they have a definite appeal to me, but that's a lot of cash to spend on on a scope that's arguably less capable than a newer variable. I have thought about going with an ACOG/RMR combo, but if I'm honest with myself I have to admit that the appeal of the ACOG and the Elcan both to me is the military pedigree, and I'd probably grow more as a shooter getting a scope with exposed turrets and learning how to dial for precision shooting at range.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    I would be looking at the Vortex pst 3-15 and the Primary arms GLX line skus that fit what mag range you want.

Meopta Optika 6 is worth a look as well

The Athlon above looks good as well, if you are willing to spend up to 1k they have other options. Doug at Camera Land New York is the guy to call for Athlon. He will give a discount

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I would be looking at the Vortex pst 3-15
    I have Viper PST Gen II 3-15X44 FFP on my 18" SPR.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip--I'm always interested in supporting companies that are cool to shooters.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Also running a Gen ll Vortex on an 18" SPR, but a 2-10X, MIL/MIL.

The PST ll Vortex is the least expensive optic I own that is trustworthy for repeatedly dialing come ups/windage, with precise return to zero.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    NF 1-8 or maybe the Primary Arms equivalent.