Thread: BRN 180 300 Blackout Build

Feedback Score

BRN 180 300 Blackout Build

I have been a member here a fairly long time, I mostly just read and try to lean how to not be "that guy" any way. I figured this might be worth posting.

So I had been looking at the BRN 180 thinking it looks pretty cool. So the last time they had the uppers in stock I snagged one, then got on the list for a forged lower. I was able to get that about two weeks ago, then had a chance to put it together this weekend.

No crazy stuff on it but its the first time I have built out a stripped lower. I did find that the edge of the mag well was really sharp, so I fixed that.

I'm not having great luck with the Aluminum Black, so next time I send some parts out for black hard anodizing I'll piggy back these in these parts in the lot. You can see it is not really all that smooth on the switch and light mount.

BRN 180S 300 Blackout upper
    BRN 180 forged lower
    Brownells lower parts kit with there nickel trigger assembly.
    BCM pistol grip (had to fit that to the lower)
    SB Tactical TF1913 side folding brace
    Griffin Armament M2 folding iron sights
    Aimpoint Pro in a Scalarworks Leap/02 mount
    Magpul M-Lok angled fore grip
    Streamlight Pro tac light on a mount I made with a pressure switch mount I also made

I think thats all the parts.

3.jpg1.jpg4.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

I took a few more pics of the mag well mod but its been a long time since I have uploaded any pics figuring it out now.

Hope to get out and test it out soon.

Maybe yall will find this interesting, at the very least if you are thinking about getting one, you will know about the somewhat off putting sharp mag well edge.

Wiley

Feedback Score
    I think it looks great!
    I am extremely impressed with your self-made parts. They look good. I have been looking at those since they released. I can't wait to see how she runs for you.
    Great build!

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Im pretty happy how it came together.

This is the first time I have chucked one of my guns up in the mill to cut on it, but it handles so much nicer with the mag well rounded and chamfered.

I make parts all day, some times forgetting I can make them for myself. I made the same light and switch mount for a BCM pistol last year and it worked out pretty well for this set up too.

Have been looking at the BRN 180 since the craziness started last year, figured I would go on a do it. I mean why not get in to a new cartridge when ammo is like gold!

Feedback Score
    Looks great. So is it basically like an AR180?

Feedback Score
    Its Brownells take on a modernized AR180. I wanted a 300 and it seemed a slick way to have something that was not another AR15.

It seems to be really well made and the action is smooth. So far my only issue was the square edge on the mag well feeling like it was going to keep some meat, but I fixed that.

Feedback Score
    Its Brownells take on a modernized AR180. I wanted a 300 and it seemed a slick way to have something that was not another AR15.

It seems to be really well made and the action is smooth. So far my only issue was the square edge on the mag well feeling like it was going to keep some meat, but I fixed that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Looks great, man!

Looking forward to some range updates. Any plans for adding a suppressor?
    "Adrenaline + tunnel vision + a little disbelief = that John Wayne moment" - Firefly

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    double tap
    "Adrenaline + tunnel vision + a little disbelief = that John Wayne moment" - Firefly

Feedback Score
    I was hoping to try it out this weekend life and work have other plans!

I think I'm going to go with a Rugged Surge 762. I keep thinking about maybe making a can on a from one, but then I end up in the weeds on heat treating 17-4 SS and the best way to make my own QD mount. It starts to looks like I might spend more on time, tool, and material than if I just buy one! I figure maybe buy the first rifle can and then maybe do a form one can after.
    Last edited by Wiley; 04-10-21 at 23:45.