Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will there be mechanical issues using a milspec safety with a semi auto trigger?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    But they said it wasn't due to hammer follow??? Without an auto sear, all they could hope to accomplish is keeping the disconnector from grabbing the hammer...right?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    But they said it wasn't due to hammer follow??? Without an auto sear, all they could hope to accomplish is keeping the disconnector from grabbing the hammer...right?
    I am not concerned with what "they" said. I said that installing an M-16 FCG will cause an AR to fire more than one round per trigger pull with the selector in "Auto" - a correct statement.

At any rate, the OP asked about mechanical concerns with installing an M-16 selector only. I believe there is no mechanical reason against it. I personally would not install one unless it was impossible to find a semi selector.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    At any rate, the OP asked about mechanical concerns with installing an M-16 selector only. I believe there is no mechanical reason against it. I personally would not install one unless it was impossible to find a semi selector.

Andy
    Me too. It would be annoying for the selector to move beyond its normal rotation.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    It will be safe in the third position unless you have an auto disconnector installed.
    Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Flipped 180 to where "AUTO" would normally be it'll fire in semiautomatic mode. Unless you have shitty disconnector timing there is no full-auto sear to release the hammer once the bolt is locked.

Olympic Arms sold metric ass-loads of AR rifles and carbines with GI selectors in the 80s and early 90s that would go past 90-degrees. New-old stock selectors eventually dried up as the assault rifle ban kicked-in in 1994.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Flipped 180 to where "AUTO" would normally be it'll fire in semiautomatic mode. Unless you have shitty disconnector timing there is no full-auto sear to release the hammer once the bolt is locked.

Olympic Arms sold metric ass-loads of AR rifles and carbines with GI selectors in the 80s and early 90s that would go past 90-degrees. New-old stock selectors eventually dried up as the assault rifle ban kicked-in in 1994.

This guy is correct.
    Last edited by the AR-15 Junkie; 04-18-21 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Nope.

On semi it will fire.

Can confirm. It works perfectly in the third position as a semi auto, no difference whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Me too. It would be annoying for the selector to move beyond its normal rotation.
    It's actually not a problem, because it takes deliberate effort to break your grip and rotate it beyond the second position. It's not something you can do by accident, and even if you did I confirmed through reliability checks that it functions in semi in that position with no change whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It's actually not a problem, because it takes deliberate effort to break your grip and rotate it beyond the second position.
    That's true.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123