Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next step for reliability upgrade

Feedback Score

Next step for reliability upgrade

I have a 2016 S&W M&P 15 Sport that has served me well as a ranch gun and "nightstand AR." Not a lot of fancy furniture: Streamlight, quad rail, red dot, muzzle brake/compensator, etc. Last year I did some reliability upgrades. By "reliability," I mean, "if my life depended on that 10,000th round going off." So far it's been some trigger work, a Sprinco Orange buffer spring (good for 1.5 million cycles), Sprinco Heavy Duty extractor spring (200,000+ cycles), an L J H2 buffer, and a Wolff Extra Power hammer spring.

Alan at Sprinco did a great job of setting me up with the spring/buffer combo after I used his form for analyzing the ejection path. Now it's dead-on at 4 o'clock, and much smoother to shoot. Target re-acquisition is noticeably faster, and holy crap, this baby is reliable. It'll shoot till the cows come home.

I changed to the Wolff Extra Power spring after the stock hammer spring took a slight "set" from being stored in a cocked condition (round in chamber, safety on) for several years and started producing an occasional light strike. Problem solved, but I'm not sure about the lifespan of that Wolff EP spring. Just to be optimal, I'm storing it in an uncocked condition, at least for now.

Any suggestions for a next step for reliability enhancement? I thought about replacing the BCG, but it's my understanding that the M&P BCGs (including the extractor) are about as well built as a BCG can be. The ejector spring seems solid. Anything else you would upgrade? Note I'm focusing on reliability here - "that 10,000th round going off," not cosmetics, accuracy, or what spare parts to have on hand. Those are different things.

Right now I'm thinking about the gas ring, maybe a JP Enhanced.... thoughts?
    Last edited by Ruark; 04-12-21 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Any suggestions for a next step for reliability enhancement? I thought about replacing the BCG, but it's my understanding that the M&P BCGs (including the extractor) are about as well built as a BCG can be. The ejector spring seems solid. Anything else you would upgrade? Note I'm focusing on reliability here - "that 10,000th round going off," not cosmetics, accuracy, or what spare parts to have on hand. Those are different things.
    You've done a lot more than I would have done. In my humble opinion, the first area I would focus on for AR15 reliability would be the extractor spring and related parts: extractor, extractor spring, spring insert (if you use one), and O-ring (if you use one).

I think you should figure out what combination of these parts work in your gun. Then, get spares of the same extractor spring you are using (same brand, same number of coils, etc.), along with spare inserts and O-rings if you use them. Also, probably get a few extra extractor pins.

If you really want to be confident and don't mind spending the money, get a few extra extractors (all the same brand at the same time). Test one of them to make sure it works in your gun with the same extractor spring/insert/O-ring setup you want to use.

Personally, I would have a spare bolt (with all of these parts already installed) ready to go.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a 2016 S&W M&P 15 Sport that has served me well as a ranch gun and "nightstand AR." Not a lot of fancy furniture: Streamlight, quad rail, red dot, muzzle brake/compensator, etc. Last year I did some reliability upgrades. By "reliability," I mean, "if my life depended on that 10,000th round going off." So far it's been some trigger work, a Sprinco Orange buffer spring (good for 1.5 million cycles), Sprinco Heavy Duty extractor spring (200,000+ cycles), an L J H2 buffer, and a Wolff Extra Power hammer spring.

Alan at Sprinco did a great job of setting me up with the spring/buffer combo after I used his form for analyzing the ejection path. Now it's dead-on at 4 o'clock, and much smoother to shoot. Target re-acquisition is noticeably faster, and holy crap, this baby is reliable. It'll shoot till the cows come home.

I changed to the Wolff Extra Power spring after the stock hammer spring took a slight "set" from being stored in a cocked condition (round in chamber, safety on) for several years and started producing an occasional light strike. Problem solved, but I'm not sure about the lifespan of that Wolff EP spring. Just to be optimal, I'm storing it in an uncocked condition, at least for now.

Right now I'm thinking about the gas ring, maybe a JP Enhanced.... thoughts?
    NEGATIVE on changing the gas ring man-100% unnecessary. Total waste of money & time.
    The Wolff spring will last you the rest of your life.
    Youre about as good as that rifle can get, not a knock on the rifle, its just to me, goal accomplished.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    You've done a lot more than I would have done. In my humble opinion, the first area I would focus on for AR15 reliability would be the extractor spring and related parts: extractor, extractor spring, spring insert (if you use one), and O-ring (if you use one).

I think you should figure out what combination of these parts work in your gun. Then, get spares of the same extractor spring you are using (same brand, same number of coils, etc.), along with spare inserts and O-rings if you use them. Also, probably get a few extra extractor pins.

If you really want to be confident and don't mind spending the money, get a few extra extractors (all the same brand at the same time). Test one of them to make sure it works in your gun with the same extractor spring/insert/O-ring setup you want to use.

Personally, I would have a spare bolt (with all of these parts already installed) ready to go.

Joe Mamma
    Thanks, Joe. I fully understand and agree with your advice, and indeed I DO have some spare parts, but again, I'm focusing on the reliability of what's installed, not what spare parts to have available. Sort of like focusing on the most dependable tires on your car, and not the quality of your spare tire. Again, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    NEGATIVE on changing the gas ring man-100% unnecessary. Total waste of money & time.
    The Wolff spring will last you the rest of your life.
    Youre about as good as that rifle can get, not a knock on the rifle, its just to me, goal accomplished.
    Thanks, but how do you figure? I've read numerous reports of gas rings failing after 2,000 - 3,000 rounds, and I've read that optimally they should last 6,000 - 8,000 rounds before replacement.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, but how do you figure? I've read numerous reports of gas rings failing after 2,000 - 3,000 rounds, and I've read that optimally they should last 6,000 - 8,000 rounds before replacement.
    Brother- reality check. Do you HAVE that much ammo? Can you afford that much ammo? Will you EVER actually shoot that much ammo?
    EVEYTHING "fails" at some point. That JP ring? Itll fail at some point too. If youve got quality rings in there..and keep them lubed...you gonna be AWHILE before you need new ones.
    Last set I bought from a known source was like $3 & change. Im all about building durability into my weapons, but at some point it becomes a waste of time & money when youve done all thats actually needed. Ive got a 13 year old LMT Defender thats got a shit ton of rounds thru it...the rings are fine, looked at them recently.
    About 11 or so years ago- after the original RS started losing length..I put in a RED Sprinco & never looked back. I think Ive changed the Sprinco extractor springs once..after several years & many rounds. It was running fine...but I did it as a precaution.
    And Ive so many Wolff springs in so many rifles & pistols for DECADES now...and I know how good they are. Got about 3 now using them. Youll never wear it out.
    Im telling you..buy some good mags and load up on whatever ammo you can, youve got the rifle gtg in my opinion.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just buy some spares to have on hand. 2-3k isn't that many rounds on gas rings. Before the ammo drought of 20-21, I was shooting 2-3k a year and never had a gas ring failure. If the BCG is built right they should last a good while.

You might want to lay in a good amount of PMAGS or good GI type mags. A good mag is really important to reliability.

Feedback Score
    It sounds like you’re trying to build a rifle where you don’t have to do anymore maintenance for 10,000 rounds. Instead, I would just inspect the gas rings while cleaning every now and then (doesn’t have to be excessively cleaned) and replace when needed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That Sprinco Orange might last forever (or not) but does the weapon cycle reliably while dirty?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My recipe for a reliable AR is as follows:

1. BRT barrel OR gas tube. Proper gas port sizing is important for not only smoothness but reliability as well.

2. 5 coil extractor spring and sometimes the donut insert.

3. spring co white or white hot buffer spring behind a H2 buffer.

4. Pmags or the tan follower Gi mags.

I have a 10.5" and a 16" set up this way and they are fantastically smooth shooters that have never skipped a beat.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast