Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be mechanical issues using a milspec safety with a semi auto trigger?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It'll work. The disconnector "tail" isn't on a semi auto part, and obviously the auto sear isn't in the lower.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    From the footnotes

“Four of the AR-15's fire control components were parts from M-16 rifles:  the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and selector switch.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
    From the footnotes

“Four of the AR-15's fire control components were parts from M-16 rifles:  the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and selector switch.”
    I was just going to post the above. There was a whole lot more going on than just safety or selector.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So it had all the FA parts from a M-16 except the auto-sear? No wonder it would jam after a few rounds on "auto".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB62 View Post
    From the footnotes

Not 100% positive, but I still don't think that would produce anything even remotely capable of full auto. It's very common for parts kit builders to use all the original parts, save for the auto sear, and I've never once heard of one being full auto capable without the sear. At the very, very least, I think someone must have intentionally done some grinding or something.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Not 100% positive, but I still don't think that would produce anything even remotely capable of full auto. It's very common for parts kit builders to use all the original parts, save for the auto sear, and I've never once heard of one being full auto capable without the sear. At the very, very least, I think someone must have intentionally done some grinding or something.
    The auto sear only serves to slow the hammer drop until the bolt closes. They will fire more than one round per trigger pull without the auto sear, but not reliably - it is basically the hammer following the bolt. It mimics a malfunction more than a machine gun. At least that is what a guy told me - of course I would never try it and see what happens.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The auto sear only serves to slow the hammer drop until the bolt closes. They will fire more than one round per trigger pull without the auto sear, but not reliably - it is basically the hammer following the bolt. It mimics a malfunction more than a machine gun. At least that is what a guy told me - of course I would never try it and see what happens.

Andy
    This is correct. It will work. I have seen it done. The person I saw do this is no longer alive, so I don't think he'll have to pay for this act against humanity. But yeah... it works... not perfectly, but it will work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Andy
    I would have to see some proof on that one.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I would have to see some proof on that one.
    Like expert testimony in a court of law? Maybe you could write David Olofson in prison and see if he has a video.

To the best of my memory, this video shows how the FCG parts interact and you can see the effect removing the auto sear would have.

https://youtu.be/wMIBUIN30yU

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-08-21 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Like expert testimony in a court of law? Maybe you could write David Olofson in prison and see if he has a video.
    Exactly. I've seen it in person, and it works.

And that knuckle head, Olofson, deserves it. Loaning out an Illegal MG to some booger eater who shot it at a public range? How dumb can you get?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast