Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School me up on Smart watches

Feedback Score
    I’m not a techie, but have an Apple Watch. Mine isn’t the cellular one, didn’t see the need for it then. But I’d vote Apple Watch. I’ve had mine since Sept of ‘19 and the battery used to last all day, and be about 25% when I got home. Now it’ll be around 10%. It’ll track steps, heart rate, running, you can swim with it etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What kind of phone do you have?

If an iphone iwatch send to be the best option. Fitbit Versa 3 is Good option as well

If you have Android fitbit versa 3 is a great option. Samsung Galaxy watch as well but has shorter battery life I believe.

I don't know about Garmin watched to much.

The versa 3 works well with my galaxy s10+. I mainly use to track workouts and make sure I get a certain amount of "active" minutes daily as well as the sleep monitoring. It is useful to check notifications/texts when in meetings etc without having to get out my phone

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much for all the responses, I appreciate it.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I've had a Garmin Fenix 5 for a bit over three years. I wore it constantly for a long time, and appreciated that it only needed to get charged about every two weeks. Eventually I got tired of the alerts and things on it, and now only use it for fitness-related activities. It's great for that, as the metrics and things that it spits out are really useful for tracking progress.

Perhaps I'm just a counterculture guy, but working in tech where everyone around me is either wearing an Apple watch or no watch at all, I like being the guy rocking a mechanical auto.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Most everything has been said already and OP, you may have made a decision already but, if you have an iPhone then the Garmin watches are severely crippled with interface in my opinion. If you have Android, Samsung and Garmin are really good. Hell, Tag Heuer even has an Android based watch which looks really sharp (but $$$). The main difference between the current Apple Series 6 and the SE is the 6 has a pulse oximeter which I found clunky and not really useful for my application (flying). You can save $100+ by getting the SE unless you want a stainless or titanium case.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel556 View Post
    if you have an iPhone then the Garmin watches are severely crippled with interface in my opinion.
    Hmmm, similar generation & price non-apple smart watches have very similar capabilities and user interfaces.

Garmin watches go a different direction, the Instinct and Fenix go with a button-based non-touch screen interface. I've recentlly switched to a Garmin instinct and find the button interface very straightforward and easier for me to use.

It's just a whole lot easier to respond or dismiss events with the buttons. I don't have to look at it as much.

Excellent battery life. And the GPS functionality is without compare. I really like the capability to rearrange the displays, eliminate displays I don't care about, etc. Very pleased with the Instinct. I've seen them new as low as $170 recently. (From $300)

The Garmin fitness bands are touch screen similar to their counterparts. I used a Garmin vivosmart 4 And really liked it but wanted a bigger display.

We did get my wife a bigger screen Fitbit and though not as fancy / exotic as the Apple watches it does everything she wants.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Hmmm, similar generation & price non-apple smart watches have very similar capabilities and user interfaces.

Garmin watches go a different direction, the Instinct and Fenix go with a button-based non-touch screen interface. I've recentlly switched to a Garmin instinct and find the button interface very straightforward and easier for me to use.

It's just a whole lot easier to respond or dismiss events with the buttons. I don't have to look at it as much.

Excellent battery life. And the GPS functionality is without compare. I really like the capability to rearrange the displays, eliminate displays I don't care about, etc. Very pleased with the Instinct. I've seen them new as low as $170 recently. (From $300)

The Garmin fitness bands are touch screen similar to their counterparts. I used a Garmin vivosmart 4 And really liked it but wanted a bigger display.

We did get my wife a bigger screen Fitbit and though not as fancy / exotic as the Apple watches it does everything she wants.
    Thanks for this. This is sort of the direction I keep coming back to as I don't own any Apple products and the price vs features of the Garmin seem high enough to warrant going in this direction.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Thanks for this. This is sort of the direction I keep coming back to as I don't own any Apple products and the price vs features of the Garmin seem high enough to warrant going in this direction.
    I was wondering if I would like the button approach after using the touch screen. Other Fenix users indicated it's pretty intuitive and easily learned, so I decided to give an Instinct a try.

They were right, and some annoyances with touchscreens immediately evaporated. Within a day I had internalized the button layout and can run my watch without thinking/looking.

Ex: There are some cases that an alert or notification come in. You know exactly what it is already, and don't need to look at it. I can clear it without looking at my watch with a button click. Where with the touchscreen I would have to look at it, possibly scroll, and click a dismiss button or similar. Better ones will auto dismiss (the Garmin Instinct does) after a certain amount of time, but you get the point.

Same for starting an exercise event. If it's my default "exercise", it's two button clicks and it's started. I don't have to look at it. Or activating GPS. Or activating compass/altitude/gps marker. One long button press.

At the highest level, one button is select, another is generally clear. Two others are forward/back. And then the last one is more of a control/menu. Sounds complicated, but it's not. Since the general approach is consistent in all screens/menus, it's very easy to run. (this is something Garmin and Apple share, they try to be very consistent between menus. Drives me batty on Samsung stuff)

Just about every garmin screen is customizable with the widgets you want. Essentially there are defined places on the screen, and you can assign widgets of your choice, or use the whole screen for one widget. You can tag different screens to be included, excluded, or change the order in the rotation. Create new ones by copying a screen if needed.

I know other high end watches are customizable as well, but my past apple experience is they are not big into widgets and are more inclined to force you to live with predefined screens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    Thanks for this. This is sort of the direction I keep coming back to as I don't own any Apple producif I ts and the price vs features of the Garmin seem high enough to warrant going in this direction.
    If no apple computers or other stuff for sure go for the garmin so many great options

Feedback Score
    Double tap again
    Last edited by Honu; 04-15-21 at 16:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast