Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All steel .44 special snub?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    S&W also made the 396 Night Guard in .44 SPL
    https://www.tactical-life.com/combat...l-night-guard/

I still shoot my 1967-69 Bulldog whenever I"m home. It's my woodsroaming gun in the swamps. First two rounds shotshells then 3 rds 240 LSWC all reloads and cast. Did have back in the early 90s a 3" Taurus 441 in .44 SPL. Not as smooth in the trigger or edge wise compared to my 3" 64 NY1 or 3" 65.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Diver View Post
    S&W also made the 396 Night Guard in .44 SPL
    https://www.tactical-life.com/combat...l-night-guard/.

CD
    Yea! I need that in my life! (24 oz, quality)

Probably $1500 on the used market though now as a collector peice.

But, I'll keep an eye out for that one, thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not quite what you are looking for, but I carry a 329PD quite often when out in the woods, mountains or on the property. Its a 4", but is very light weight. People talked about how horrific the recoil is, but I don't think its bad at all. I tend to open carry on a regular holster, or upper thigh holster, and conceal it as well without much issue. It isn't like its a regular gun that I shoot. My version of enjoyable shooting tends to be 9mm or 45 in pistol flavor, but being able to use 44 special or 44 mag (and load with snake shot) makes it an all around great gun for my needs and purposes.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Yea! I need that in my life! (24 oz, quality)

Probably $1500 on the used market though now as a collector peice.

But, I'll keep an eye out for that one, thanks.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901070702

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Thanks.

Too much for me to justify. It's a collector's gun now.

I've got a Charter Bulldog on the way.

I'll load it light and try not to fire it much and see how long it lasts. I imagine I'll fire 200-500 rds a year assuming it shoots well from the beginning.

If it goes bad I'll send it back then keep or sell it when it returns. Nbd.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I know this isn't too practical and won't help you too much, but for historical interest, the old Armament Systems and Procedures who made the SW 39 series ASP conversions also produced a 5 shot 44 special conversion based on the old Ruger Speed 6 revolvers. Looking at some pictures, it was limited to "Factory Loads only" (and that would be 1980's factory loads) and the cylinder walls looked awfully thin. I'm sure there are some out there, but they would be a collector's piece and I wouldn't even guess at the price.

Best
    Last edited by plnkr1234; 05-29-21 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnkr1234 View Post
    Hi,

I know this isn't too practical and won't help you too much, but for historical interest, the old Armament Systems and Procedures who made the SW 39 series ASP conversions also produced a 5 shot 44 special conversion based on the old Ruger Speed 6 revolvers. Looking at some pictures, it was limited to "Factory Loads only" (and that would be 1980's factory loads) and the cylinder walls looked awfully thin. I'm sure there are some out there, but they would be a collector's piece and I wouldn't even guess at the price.

Best
    Spokandguns of Spokane, WA did a few of these as well back in the 80's. David Clements also also did a 5-shot .44 SPL Colt King Cobra which he states as his most difficult conversion and wouldn't do another. I recently saw if for sale on Gunbroker with a starting bid of 6k. Not sure if it ever sold, tho

Feedback Score
    Didnt they make a Bull Dog 44 with custom Magna Ported barrel 2"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Didnt they make a Bull Dog 44 with custom Magna Ported barrel 2"
    Charter does make a ported .44 and the barrel is 2 inches or less and has NO front sight. They call it the "Boomer" model. (No joke!)

They dont need porting. Cowboy-type practice loads dont recoil much. A 20 oz Charter 200 gr .44 at 750 fps kicks similar to a 158 gr .38 at 750 fps from a 15 oz S&W.

Far better trigger In the Charter, though.

The Charter has the rep for problems but because it's such a reloaders caliber it's hard to say how much of the problem is people beating them up with too-hot ammo.

Feedback Score
    Finally took the Charter out.

Shoots low with 200 gr bullets at a chronographed 740 fps avg. Slightly to the right, too. Groups fine, though.

Don't want to shoot heavier bullets to raise POI as it has enough recoil. Would have to shave down the front sight a bit to make up for about 10 inches low at 15 yds. (From my hands and rested)

Not sure if about 2 inches off center could be fixed by shaving side of front sight.

The real bummer was the two failures to ignite CCI primers. I have some Remington primers I could try that might be softer.

Or, see if one of my buddies wants to buy or trade it (with full disclosure of course)

I knew better but really wanted it to work out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123