Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I was being optimistic
    I get it. I was thinking that maybe vehicles may be less expensive in your neck of the world.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I get it. I was thinking that maybe vehicles may be less expensive in your neck of the world.
    See my edited post above.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    $5k is what I’d like to pay but I just want a nominal (realistic) entry price.

ETA 2021 Ford Bronco actually looks the part. But I don’t know about them. I’m not around enough white folks to see one IRL but it looks like what I want and $28K isn’t that bad desu. I can probably work em down maybe.

Last edited by Firefly; 04-09-21 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    So in your budget around here what you will find is gonna need work. Whether it starts as a project or not it's gonna take more money and time. I was all good with that in the past, but I'm not down for nearly as much these days.

Every once in a while you can find an awesome deal on a clean International Scout. Cornbinders just aren't as "cool" to a fair bit of the market. I've seen nice ones at very reasonable prices.

In all honesty I'd steer you away from old CJ jeeps. I love em, but these days they either need a lot of work, or they are really expensive. Sometimes you buy the spendy one and find it needs a lot of work as well. If you buy one it has to be a labor of love. The rectangular headlight YJ Wranglers can be cool, I'd look for 91 and later with the fuel injected 4.0L. The 4cyl had injection from the start (87) and you can sometimes find one that has been treated gently for a little less money. The 97-06 TJ Wranglers are awesome. They are also at a minimum twice(good ones 3x) what you want to spend.

XJ Cherokees, the little boxy ones are good options. Again you want the 4.0L. Avoid any with significant rust or if they have been wheeled hard, the unibody construction can suffer from either. I recall you mentioning being a taller type human, I'm 6'0" and while the wife's XJ is OK for me I pretty much max it out.

Toyotas can be much the same as jeeps, project or pricey. Being as I'm a jeep guy I'll let other speak to the yotas.

Full size Broncos and Blazers are also cool toys.

Good luck. Especially at your budget. I've put more than that into an axle, but that was for hardcore stuff.

I used to be manual trans guy, but rock crawling swung me to the slush box side. Unless you really prefer a stick, I'd go auto if you can.

On the other trans front, my experience is limited but Daisy Taylor gets a thumbs up.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not a daily, not driven regularly, needs to be reliable, and relatively inexpensive?

I would find a 2 door Jeep XJ (preferably 97-01, but easier to find older 2 doors) and do the door hinge cut to make them removable. Pull the carpet out and line the whole interior.

When its needed, rebuild the 4.0. around 350k on a pair of them without any issues for me 15 years ago.

Make sure you get the chryco 8.25 rear axle. Auto or manual is fine in these. Small lift, something like a 31" tire, and a winch will give you a lot of capability for about $10k.

You could be ready to rebuild a early first gen 4 runner, but that will cost a ton. I would skip a big body Bronco or Blazer unless I was dropping an LS into it.

Newer stuff, Jeep or Bronco are you only viable option for open air. Bronco with a sasquatch package would be high on the list, if you are down with a snail.

EDIT: And I just recently picked up a higher mileage 4th gen 4runner, if you are good without the open air, much nicer than I thought. I bought this after getting out of a Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon, as I needed a truck as the work vehicle, but missed having an SUV for a few reasons.
    Last edited by el_chupo_; 04-09-21 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    I've recently seen the new Bronco in person. Pass. I was chubbed out with all the publicity photos. It suffered in person, YMMV.

Couple things going for the newer Wranglers, but unless your up for new DD I think they are out. For a regular driver the hardtop security is a must, but the multi piece hardtops are manageable. You can get 4 doors. Downside is they are BIG, at least for Jeeps. IDK, I really dig the Gladiator. Probably not enough to drop the cash though.

Feedback Score
    As I alluded to in the other thread, if you are down for a project find an M-715. Properly fixed up they are just too cool. Mine runs a Cummins 6bt drivetrain, but pretty much ANY other power train is easier. Spring over lift with the stock springs fits 44s. It's may not go with an SR-25 though, more of a match with the LMT MWS.

I highly recommend one for flexing on mere civilian trucks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Look into the 2003-2009 Lexus GX470.

They can be found for under $10,000 if you look around. They are the American version of the Toyota Landcruiser 120 "Prado" that's sold around the world. They are the same basic powertrain as the V8 4th Gen Toyota 4Runners, and nearly all of the suspension components from the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser are interchangeable. They use the 4.7L V8 that the 100 series Landcruiser, 4Runner, Tundra, and Sequoia use.. but they wrap the drivetrain in a Landcruiser body with a Lexus interior. They are full time 4x4 with a center locking differential. Up until recently they were relatively unknown here in the US and most thought of them as soccer mom rides, but they have received a lot of attention lately and are starting to go up in price. You can also swap the 8.2 rear end from the 2010+ FJ cruisers and get a rear locker as well for a decent price, and they bolt right in. The GX470 is a very capable platform and because of the customer base that owned them, they are usually well taken care of, even with higher mileage.

Might be worth considering.. and Lexus seems to fit the KAC/HK theme too!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I take it you're not mechanically inclined enough to try to build one... ? It's a good way to learn the ins & outs of how they work. OK, you kinda gotta already know quit a a bit, or at least a working knowledge. In any case, it will get you exactly what you want in the end, even if it does take you a long time. (depending on budget, and skills) Here's a thread on one I've been building from the frame up for around 3 years.... A 1980 Jeep CJ7.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ug-out-vehicle
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    I take it you're not mechanically inclined enough to try to build one... ? It's a good way to learn the ins & outs of how they work. OK, you kinda gotta already know quit a a bit, or at least a working knowledge. In any case, it will get you exactly what you want in the end, even if it does take you a long time. (depending on budget, and skills) Here's a thread on one I've been building from the frame up for around 3 years.... A 1980 Jeep CJ7.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ug-out-vehicle
    I've been following your thread for some time now and appreciate the work you're doing. I'm far too impatient to take on any projects that take that much time though, I rebuilt a Harley several years ago in about 18 months and that seemed like forever.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast