Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Feedback Score
    For 5k may I suggest a second generation 4Runner? There kind of the bastard child’s of 4 runners cause they lack the removable top of a 1rst gen and most came with the 3.0 that everyone hates and has a overblown (in my opinion) bad rap. I picked up a 2 door model last year which is probably the rarest of all 4runners for $2300. I could have gotten a decent 4 door for a bit less. Mine ran when I got it but had some know issues like bad CV’s and valve cover leaks. I pretty much did the whole front end (CV’s, bearings, rotors/pads/caliper’s) Bilstien 4600’s all around, valve covers/rear cam seals, O2 sensor and a full tune up, Manual hubs, and some other stuff. Anyways I have had it over a year now and it’s a great rig. Mine has 4.56 gears and a manual and is a beast off road with 31’s. For a weekend toy they are hard to beat.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I see older Jeep’s as never ending projects more than just being reliable.
    My '48 CJ2 has been a project for 30+ years. My Dad first, then I. It needs pretty major work now and mainly holds my garage floor down.

Andy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not sure if available but have you thought of a Mahindra ROXOR?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I love the guys saying Jeeps equal need a good mechanic, and yes I'm biased. Let me ask you: how do you think those late 90s Wranglers got 200k on them, sitting in a shop? The 4.0 is a 400k engine all day long, and the transmissions tend do 250k if treated well. I guess I'm just lucky 2x over, huh?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattiep321 View Post
    I love the guys saying Jeeps equal need a good mechanic, and yes I'm biased. Let me ask you: how do you think those late 90s Wranglers got 200k on them, sitting in a shop? The 4.0 is a 400k engine all day long, and the transmissions tend do 250k if treated well. I guess I'm just lucky 2x over, huh?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    It’s a simple numbers game and reality. Jeep is a lifestyle, a marketing campaign on steroids, but quality and reliability across numbers just isn’t there.

Sample size of 2? Glad they worked out for you. I’ve owned several Jeep’s- including a 90’s 4.0 and wanted to love them, got tired of wrenching constantly.

I hear Taurus makes great Guns as well...
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    It’s a simple numbers game and reality. Jeep is a lifestyle, a marketing campaign on steroids, but quality and reliability across numbers just isn’t there.

Sample size of 2? Glad they worked out for you. I’ve owned several Jeep’s- including a 90’s 4.0 and wanted to love them, got tired of wrenching constantly.

I hear Taurus makes great Guns as well...
    Thanks for playing: was the Taurus comment really necessary?

How many does "several" mean? I told you I owned and enjoyed my sample size of 2, so please let's compare apples to apples. Please include quantity, year and model. Then list the issues you had with your "several" 90's Jeeps. The REALITY is that the Jeep 4.0 is an amazingly bomb-proof engine, ask around. Yes, that doesn't mean that other items in Jeeps get the JD Power highest rating, but without details your argument against them is weak.

Buying a clapped out 4 runner when you want an open concept is kind of missing the point if you want the option to fold the top down, yeah? Jeep Wranglers in the rust belt rust out fast, true story. But a 100k - 150k mile TJ from a clean southern state can last without issues (other than consumables) for 300 or 400k miles before the engine has issues, again, don't trust me, ask around. I like them because they are such a simple vehicle and easy and cheap to fix if something like the clutch goes out - for me anyway. The added benefit of their offroad capability and the insane aftermarket is what I like about mine.

The truth is that any older high mileage vehicle you buy is going to have the potential for issues, so by all means be prepared to wrench BUT I would add be smart and only fix the stuff you really can handle. I happen to rebuild engines and change gears in axles very comfortably with excellent results, but some may be limited to changing out O2 sensors or changing oil. Point is buy the cleanest, lowest mileage 4x4 you can afford for your purpose. I prefer the Jeep platform because I am comfortable working on vehicles and own a 72 Nova with an LS, a 34 Dodge pickup with an LS swap, my current Jeep, My 2000 Silverado and...wait for it...my 2017 4 Runner. You could make the argument that I'm comfortable wrenching and FF isn't, and I wouldn't argue the point BUT any pre 2000 vehicle with over 100k miles is going to have some needs. Jeep Wranglers are stupid simple and parts are so cheap: if you can build an upper, you can fix your Jeep and it will last.

My advice would be to drive one of the options you are considering - if you want an open air vehicle, drive a few of those in that configuration. There's nothing like driving into the woods, into a field, or crawling the mall with the top down in the summer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Double Tap brought to you by Google Chrome

Feedback Score
    Find yourself a mid to late 70’sF150 or Chevy 1500 4x4 SWB. With 33-12.50’s and a locking rear diff they are very capable off road. 9” ford rear diffs are tougher than the 10 bolt chevys. Dana 44 front axles hold up good unless you go over a 35” tire. 1 ton axles are a direct swap for the chevys. NP 205 transfer cases will last forever. 78 & 79 Broncos, and Full size K5’s are slick too but will cost a bit more.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Find yourself a mid to late 70’sF150 or Chevy 1500 4x4 SWB. With 33-12.50’s and a locking rear diff they are very capable off road. 9” ford rear diffs are tougher than the 10 bolt chevys. Dana 44 front axles hold up good unless you go over a 35” tire. 1 ton axles are a direct swap for the chevys. NP 205 transfer cases will last forever. 78 & 79 Broncos, and Full size K5’s are slick too but will cost a bit more.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lots of good info here. Lots to take in.

$5k isn’t totally hard and fast. I’m willing to pay more if worth it. I just like a good deal.

I’d like to know why the new Bronco is underwhelming. I get Toyota having a good record but some of the Jeeps seem okay.

Per Crown Vics, while they’re all I will use as a work vehicle; I simply could never own one as a personal vehicle. I just gotta have some kind of separation there.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast