Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like utility over glitz. I got the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does. If people would just save their money; it’s not too crazy a price. People will buy FALs and G3s when just saving buys you a real gun. I can burn water and my SR-25 has survived me.

Part of me is interested in the Bronco. Part of me wants a cheap thing to learn more about vehicles (I’m not a mechanic).

I sorta like Ford. I’ve spent my entire adult life in one. The 715 looks interesting.

I’m at a point where I am not going to mess with motorcycles. But I want something to get away with. I don’t want to sacrifice my daily driver (don’t ask, I won’t say) to do so.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I like utility over glitz. I got the SR-25 because it is the best at what it does. If people would just save their money; it’s not too crazy a price. People will buy FALs and G3s when just saving buys you a real gun. I can burn water and my SR-25 has survived me.

Part of me is interested in the Bronco. Part of me wants a cheap thing to learn more about vehicles (I’m not a mechanic).

I sorta like Ford. I’ve spent my entire adult life in one. The 715 looks interesting.

I’m at a point where I am not going to mess with motorcycles. But I want something to get away with. I don’t want to sacrifice my daily driver (don’t ask, I won’t say) to do so.
    Nothing wrong with the mid to late 90s Ford Explorers.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    5k will get you into an OBD2 XJ Cherokee with the 4.0. Outstanding reliability. And rugged assuming you don't beat the piss out of it. It is unibody. You should have cash left over for small lift and tires, and maybe some bumpers.
    After working on cars the last ten years, the longest lasting SUV hands down is the 4Runner, second would easily be a 4.0 XJ. They go for multiple 100k's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    70s or early 80s 4x4 shortbed 1/2 truck is pretty practical and will get you most places offroad except tight trails. GMC/Chevy are probably the easiest and cheapest to find parts for.

IME the smaller (Ford Ranger, Tacoma, etc.) 4x4 trucks are pretty capable offroad as well, but you are pretty tall and may be cramped in the cab of a 2 dr mini truck.

If you just want to get off the beaten track, pretty much any 4x4 will get you there, but the smaller and shorter they are, the less restricted.

Jeep meets your open air requirement and has great aftermarket support.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-09-21 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    FF, Bro, 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ is what you want. No, they aren't all "cheap" but with some looking in the right places you can find an excellent deal for a 4.0 liter straight 6 for around 5k and you have all the options a Jeep gives: Soft top or Hard top, cheap parts, up to 33" tires without changing gears (depending on if you like shifting or not) and so much more. Need to replace the transfer case? You can find used NP231s pretty cheap that will do ($100 - 200 all day long). Plus they can be lifted a little without messing around with driveshaft angles or anything, up to 3" is gtg on 33's with 3.73 gears common in most of the 5 speed 4.0 liter TJs.

Mine is a 2000 Tub on a 2003 frame from Florida, with a Dana 44 rear axle and an ARB locker on a 4" lift running 35's:
    20210326_071130.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Isuzu rodeo with the 3.2 and a 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Going to shooting land and or mountains. Nothing crazy like mud bogging. Won’t be a daily driver. Would like an open air vehicle. It will be a toy so $5kish.

My DREAM vehicle would be like this but for tall people.

$5K will be tough. If you want to stick in the $7K range you could actually get a good but worn in lates 90’s 4runner. The gen 3 4runner is a good truck. Not open air top, so if that’s the most important aspect, you gotta go another route.

However, you can find them with high 200’s low 300’s miles range for $7K and they will keep going with some love.

If you really want an open air top vehicle with reliability you could search for a first gen 4runner, they are hard to find though.

If you get a Jeep in the $5-$7K range, or any Jeep really- be prepared to wrench on it or find a cheap mechanic who does good work and you can trust.

The new Bronco looked swell in photos. It’s pretty disappointing in real life in my opinion. Time will tell, but my guess is like all other fords it’s gonna have transmission issues. So if you go that route, I’d suggest driving it to 75K miles and selling it before you get into transmission replacement time.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 04-10-21 at 07:20.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah I wanna know more and don’t give two figs about Proud Boys.

Shower me with knowledge and help me pick another Flymobile that isn’t too crazy expensive for SR-25 and SP1 Outdoor Adventures.

Also sound system discussion is welcome because I gotta have my high tech sound

VROOM VROOM
    Personally I bought a SxS (Honda Pioneer 1000-5) for these kind of things but most places I go I can just leave from my house. If you'll have to trailer it may become an issue for you.

Otherwise I'd look at a 80-series Land Cruiser that isn't rusted out (big issue with these). Even left as stock, an extremely capable off roader and not bad on the highway either. Even with mileage well into six figures, the engines in these are very reliable if they'd been well maintained.

Early 2000's half ton pickups may be a good option as well. My daily driver is an 06 f150 with 150k and is completely reliable.

As far as a sound system goes, aftermarket Bluetooth setups are an easy install.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you considered a crown vic at auction and a sawzall? You said you like driving a Ford.

Add a limited slip if it doesn’t have one and you can take on more off-road than 90 percent of lifted trucks will ever see.

Outside of the people who go looking for super hardcore trails, most underestimate what any stock truck/SUV can do.

It’s going to be pretty hard to nail all your wants at that price, but you definitely don’t need a roided out jacked up monster truck to go out and have fun. I see older Jeep’s as never ending projects more than just being reliable.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    desu

I can probably work em down maybe.
    I imagine these new Broncos are going for more than MSRP. But I get the appeal.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast