Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Interesting. They are Japanese and around 10kish...

How well are they lifted?
    You can learn about them and the how to here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx470-prado120.237/

Feedback Score
    There were a ton of those over in OZ. Over there they were Toyota and had diesels, but they were real common. Says a lot really, not just a luxo-ute.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    There were a ton of those over in OZ. Over there they were Toyota and had diesels, but they were real common. Says a lot really, not just a luxo-ute.
    Yea, the lucky blokes down under get the turbo diesels. I don't get why it isn't an option here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Yea, the lucky blokes down under get the turbo diesels. I don't get why it isn't an option here.
    California.

The same reason you can’t buy a gas can that works anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hate living in a “free country”.

I just want old metal gas cans and shit that works

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My fun rig is a 100 series land cruiser. I've taken it over many passes here in CO that you wouldn't think it would go and I'm not even locked. I would second the GX470/460 if you're looking for a reliable, surprisingly capable offroader. It's not a hard core rock crawler though if that's what you're looking for. I'm likely adding a 460 later this year.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looking kinda hard at the 460 now. I’m not going to be doing hardcore rock tumbling. Just a vehicle I don’t mind taking off the beaten path on occasion that has aftermarket support.

It also looks roomy. I have pretty long legs. Think Shaq. And I want to be comfortable.

Can they haul campers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I'd love one of the solid axle turbo diesel Nissan Patrols they had in OZ. They got some cool stuff. Not sure what to think of the 6 wheel Holden "El Camino" though.

Looking kinda hard at the 460 now. I’m not going to be doing hardcore rock tumbling. Just a vehicle I don’t mind taking off the beaten path on occasion that has aftermarket support.

It also looks roomy. I have pretty long legs. Think Shaq. And I want to be comfortable.

Can they haul campers?
    They hauled trailers in OZ. Not big ones, but their campers ain't second homes like up here. I'm guessing they could drag a smaller US camper just fine.

ETA: What most of us would call mild trail running, the Aussies call driving. The same in Central/South America, and the same vehicles are common there also.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 04-11-21 at 22:10.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Can they haul campers?
    My father and I are both around 6'6" tall and we both fit comfortably in my GX470. I don't take it off-road often, but it has worked really, really well for me when I have.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Can they haul campers?
    Off road capable campers are another Aussie specialty, although overlanding has really caught on here in the US and I expect US companies to start making quality products to match, but right now there are very few.

The off road campers are double the cost though because they are simply made better...down to the smallest details. Hinges, latches, suspension, paneling, etc....you name it...made to last. The Aussies and South Africans have been doing it a lot longer than we have. Pretty much anywhere your 4x4 can go, those trailers can go as long as you can tow it. Overlanding is a cool rabbit hole to go down. The 270 awnings, 12 volt refrigerators, roof top tents, slide out kitchens, and aftermarket suspensions are cool as sh*t.

Here is a popular line of off-road trailers from down under. Many of the good brands they have, don't even offer them outside of Aussieland.

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/

https://explorationoutfitters.com/pa...ot-campers-usa

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast