Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jeeps, 4WD, and trannies

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Can they haul campers?
    Yes, 6500lbs. If you are looking at newish lighter built ones that is roughly up to the medium sized ones.

I wouldn’t recommend anywhere near the max

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never mind already been answered
    Last edited by Arik; 04-12-21 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think the GX is a great option, I had a hard time deciding between one and a 4runner myself, but the one I got popped up at a stupid price...

Personally, I would go 470 instead of the newer 460 if long term reliability and offroad use was preferred. Longer and more renowned track record, better motor (slightly, and IMO), actual 4wd shifter (the electronic 4wd switch is known to be sticky if not used). Its 600lbs lighter, better angles, etc.

On the 460 I like the facelift model a lot more, but thats just me.

Depending on comfort and needs, a Lexus LX can be considered as well, dont rule them out either if you like a bigger vehicle. Roughly the same size as the GX460 if you look at early 2000s models.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Make sure you are looking at the actual Bronco, NOT the Bronco Sport—the sport is a soccer mom vehicle.

I just got a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro last August and I love it. Enjoyed taking it on forest service and logging trails. Got bit hard by the off-road bug and am looking for a 78-80 Bronco. But to find one that is in any decent working condition, they are way pricier than I am looking to spend on a toy-especially considering I am looking at 8-10k for suspension. I was also looking for a 74-76 Bronco but DAMN those are insane—people have turned them into show vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Lots of good info here. Lots to take in.

$5k isn’t totally hard and fast. I’m willing to pay more if worth it. I just like a good deal.

I’d like to know why the new Bronco is underwhelming. I get Toyota having a good record but some of the Jeeps seem okay.

Per Crown Vics, while they’re all I will use as a work vehicle; I simply could never own one as a personal vehicle. I just gotta have some kind of separation there.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    I think the GX is a great option, I had a hard time deciding between one and a 4runner myself, but the one I got popped up at a stupid price...

Personally, I would go 470 instead of the newer 460 if long term reliability and offroad use was preferred. Longer and more renowned track record, better motor (slightly, and IMO), actual 4wd shifter (the electronic 4wd switch is known to be sticky if not used). Its 600lbs lighter, better angles, etc.

On the 460 I like the facelift model a lot more, but thats just me.

Depending on comfort and needs, a Lexus LX can be considered as well, don't rule them out either if you like a bigger vehicle. Roughly the same size as the GX460 if you look at early 2000s models.
    Yea...I was thinking the same thing about the 460 vs the 470 when I was shopping around for them. The one thing I liked about the 460 was that they went to a timing chain vs belt like the 470. It isn't a problem if you change it, the 4.7L engine is an absolute proven workhorse, but...one less thing to worry about if the 4.6L is just as dependable.

I ended up going full Landcruiser and found a deal on a 2014 LX570 with less than 90k miles on it. They don't hold their value as much as the actual badged Landcruiser even though it is pretty much the same vehicle with Lexus badges on it and a pretty nice AHC suspension to boot. I think that's going to change soon, now that the LC is discontinued in the US and only the LX570 will be offered. That 5.7L is a beast and workhorse too, so I am good.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-14-21 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    LX450's are nice as you get, basically, a 80-series land cruiser with factory locking front and rear diffs.

Feedback Score
    Just looked at a 93 Ford Bronco parked out for sale. Straight 6, automatic, 160K. Looks nice. Like the OJ Bronco only its freaking orange with a white top. Askin $6500. So there are good ones out there in your target range. Too bad it's 2000 miles away.

I sure as hell don't need it, but I'm thinking about buying it anyway.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is close to my price range! I am not overly concerned with color as I just want a dedicated off-road rig. Orange works well down here in TN anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Just looked at a 93 Ford Bronco parked out for sale. Straight 6, automatic, 160K. Looks nice. Like the OJ Bronco only its freaking orange with a white top. Askin $6500. So there are good ones out there in your target range. Too bad it's 2000 miles away.

I sure as hell don't need it, but I'm thinking about buying it anyway.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    That is close to my price range! I am not overly concerned with color as I just want a dedicated off-road rig. Orange works well down here in TN anyways.
    I really liked that it wasn't beat and the straight 6 is a great motor. I was tempted, but passed. Too many trucks.

ETA: I actually only pulled in to look at it because of this thread. Then a Bronco almost followed me home.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 04-19-21 at 10:50.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Gotta a link or location?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast