Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder holsters? Pros and Cons?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shoulder holsters? Pros and Cons?

I keep thinking about Galco shoulder holsters.

What are the pros and cons of horizontal versus vertical carry? I'm thinking horizontal will be easier to draw from with the caveat that it would "muzzle sweep" everyone to the left of me when around other people.

My only experience with shoulder holsters are the cheap flimsy kind you find at the discount stores. How big is too big (Glock 17?) for a shoulder holster for someone who wears a medium polo and T-shirt?

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Surely you don't mean under the t shirt or polo? That would not work.

Jacket or over-shirt of some type necessary.

Why the search? I ask because they'really not that practical. Bulky, somewhat cumbersome, slow draw (compared to other methods). Think of it as a high crossdraw.

Horizontal is the way to go with a G17 or comparable.

Only real advantages are getting weight off the waist, if that's necessary.

I have a nice TED blocker rig, but it gets barely used. It's good for a quick way to throw on a second gun and more mags. Or in severe weather, easier to get to through a big coat. But then again so is AIWB. Or while driving for long periods, gives great access.

Other than that, not too useful.

Like anything though, if you're dead set on it, go quality or you'll have a less than satisfactory experience.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I’m wearing pants, I’m wearing a gun, period. Trouble is that I frequently wear pajama bottoms at home, so while I’m not a fan of shoulder holsters for EDC, I’ve debated getting one purely for use at home when I’m in super casual mode.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t think of any “pros”. Even if there is one, a quality IWB/OWB or AIWB will win every time.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shoulder holsters work in Hollywood better than they work in the real world.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t think of any “pros”. Even if there is one, a quality IWB/OWB or AIWB will win every time.
    Only scenarios I can think of are seated in a vehicle or carrying a back pack and that last one is really limited to a chest holster like an M3/M7.

Not even really sure about pajama scenario because most decent shoulder/chest I can think of tend to have a tie off connected to the belt or waist to stay put.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Only scenarios I can think of are seated in a vehicle or carrying a back pack and that last one is really limited to a chest holster like an M3/M7.

Not even really sure about pajama scenario because most decent shoulder/chest I can think of tend to have a tie off connected to the belt or waist to stay put.
    Hadn’t thought of that. Chances are that I won’t waste the money on one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    If I’m wearing pants, I’m wearing a gun, period. Trouble is that I frequently wear pajama bottoms at home, so while I’m not a fan of shoulder holsters for EDC, I’ve debated getting one purely for use at home when I’m in super casual mode.
    Belly band. It will also make you look slimmer in that high fashion scenario...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Belly band. It will also make you look slimmer in that high fashion scenario...
    Thunderwear too. Pique the curiosity of &/or worry the ladies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Thunderwear too. Pique the curiosity of &/or worry the ladies.
    This is pretty hot.

https://www.amazon.com/FAT-MAN-MEDIU...8091196&sr=8-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast