Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.5 Swede vs Creedmoor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Yep that’s what I’m saying (shorter case, longer neck). If that seems odd check out what cartridges hold all the 1000 yard benchrest records. They’re prob all based on 6BR cases. I doubt you’ll find a magnum in the bunch.
    Actually, you’d be surprised. The 6BR rocks at short range and 600, but for 1000 you indeed do see magnums. Largely, .284 Wheeler, 7WSM, .300WSM, 6.5-284, and so on. The smaller cases like the PPCs and the BRs just don’t have the gas for the wind.

I believe the recent 1,000 yard record was set with a .300WSM firing a clean score and ten-round group of something like 2.69”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In 2018, Mike Wilson shot a record setting 5-shot group measuring 1.068 in (27.1 mm) at 1,000 yd (910 m), which corresponds to an angular size of 0.102 moa or 0.029 mrad. The record was set shooting the 6mmBR Ackley Improved cartridge in good weather conditions, and the group was even centered in the X-ring.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ory-be-amazed/
    onsider this — we believe this is the smallest 10-shot group ever shot at 1000 yards in any form of rifle competition, by anyone, anywhere, anytime. It is smaller than the existing Williamsport Light Gun and Heavy Gun 1K records. The IBS and NBRSA do not shoot 10 rounds for Light Gun, but this 2.6872″ group is smaller than the current IBS (3.044″) and NBRSA (4.322″) ten-shot HEAVY GUN records.

Jim Richards Montana Missoula Deep Creek Williamsport World Record

This amazing group was shot by Jim Richards at the Deep Creek Range outside Missoula, Montana during the 4th Light Gun Relay of a 1000-yard match. Jim was shooting the small 6mm Dasher cartridge with 105gr Berger bullets.
    There may be newer world records but the 2018 1.068” 5 shot 1000yard group shot with a 6BRA (ackley) and the 2014 ten round 2.687” 1000yard group with a 6dasher (also based on 6BR) are still pretty respectable and are definitely long range capable.

Feedback Score
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-with-300-wsm/

I think I found the record you’re talking about though but it was 2010. Dang good shootin.

On point for this thread though. Look at pics of the 300wsm. Looks almost like a scaled up 6.5cm wrt neck and shoulder

Feedback Score
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rsa-1000-yard/

Here’s the article I was referencing.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-with-300-wsm/

I think I found the record you’re talking about though but it was 2010. Dang good shootin.

On point for this thread though. Look at pics of the 300wsm. Looks almost like a scaled up 6.5cm wrt neck and shoulder
    Taliv, if I currently have a 6.5CM and wanted to rebarrel once it’s shot out to extend the range for both hunting and shooting steel out past 1k (dare I say a mile?), BUT without going to a long action AND keeping an 18-20” barrel form factor (+ suppressor), would the 300WSM be the best option for that?

I wasn’t sure how inherently accurate the 300WSM was, so it would be nice to know it’s somewhere close to the 6.5CM since I can shoot consistent 3/4” groups with the cheap Hornsby stuff without trying very hard.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Taliv, if I currently have a 6.5CM and wanted to rebarrel once it’s shot out to extend the range for both hunting and shooting steel out past 1k (dare I say a mile?), BUT without going to a long action AND keeping an 18-20” barrel form factor (+ suppressor), would the 300WSM be the best option for that?

I wasn’t sure how inherently accurate the 300WSM was, so it would be nice to know it’s somewhere close to the 6.5CM since I can shoot consistent 3/4” groups with the cheap Hornsby stuff without trying very hard.
    First, you’d need to have the bolt opened up. Second, you’d be majorly hamstringing they cartridge in such a short barrel. Finally. The notion of “inherently accurate” is a bit of a misnomer in the first place.

Feedback Score
    I’ll refrain from giving advice on the 300wsm since I’ve never owned one, know nothing about their ballistics and obviously didn’t know anyone used them for benchrest until last night.

I wouldn’t use it for hunting but I will say I have shot my 6.5x47 Lapua to a mile many times and even took 7th place in the ELR PRS match in WY with it against 300win mags and 300nm. So I’m quite certain you can hit steel at a mile with your 6.5cm which will shoot the same bullets 100fps faster. Just have to make good wind calls.

I’m not much of a hunter but I believe 6.5mm is generally regarded as excellent for hunting due to the penetration. But idk how to get much more performance out of short action with 308 bolt face than the CM. I ran a 260AI for a long time that worked great. But it suffered from all the OAL problems of the 260rem plus fireforming brass is a pain and quite expensive these days. I’d guess you could comfortably get a 140g bullet to 2950fps or so out of a 20” bbl.

Feedback Score
    My Swedish is done...

https://i.imgur.com/Ld8lX3M.jpg
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123