Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Police shooting in the twin cities (Brooklyn Center OIS)

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The entire point of calling it a bad shoot is if this officer was held to the same standard as a civilian in a defensive shooting where the kid drops the weapon and empty hands are shown and I shot him anyway would I lose in court? Im going to have to say most likely. Its been drilled into my head by dudes like Craig Douglas if that kid had shown a banana/cellphone/wallet in the same scenario and I shot him I would end up in jail. The court also has the luxury of going frame by frame unfortunately for that officer. By that standard I call it a bad shoot. Its going to take some force on force expert a whole lot of explaining about reactionary gap and human reaction time to convince a jury that it wasnt a bad shoot.
    Not necessarily true, per SCOTUS settled Graham V Connor; ala Objective Reasonableness Standard.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 04-16-21 at 02:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Do many cops use strobe like that?
    I’m sure some like it. It’s the first thing I disable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I do not subscribe to "if a private citizen had made that shot". It is basically a private citizen's duty to avoid situations that may result in a shooting. Peace officers do not have that luxury.

If we continue to place ever more restrictive ROEs on the police, we will end up with a bunch of traffic wardens who would be fools to expose themselves to the legal liability of actually confronting a violent criminal or to approach a domestic dispute.

Andy

Feedback Score

Unfortunately, that image will be like rocket fuel for the Hands Up, Don't Shoot crowd.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s not unfortunate for me. When enough white daughters get beaten and raped or someone “important” catches too much reality then they’ll want the full Wrath of God exacted on these people.

CHAZ was “like Woodstock” until they went to somebody “important’s” house then it had to come down most ricky tick.

Also the whole “private citizen” spiel is busted and lame. I don’t know what some of you do on your personal time, but my big ass is in a house and not on no streets.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Unfortunately, that image will be like rocket fuel for the Hands Up, Don't Shoot crowd.
    Yea, they fail to mention that literally a split second before he had a gun in his hands. While the pic makes it look one way, the video makes it look the other. And from what the news said, the initial call was for shots being fired at vehicles. So, I really can't blame the officer for assuming that he had a gun in his hand in the split second that he turned towards him. It looks like the shadow is a gun in his hand. It's easy to second guess the situation afterward. Tragic for the 13 year old and all involved... where was mommy and daddy. I guess there is no accountability on the part of the 13 year old or his parents... or .... good heavens... from the view point of a democrat... where did the 13 year old get a gun??? Surely gun laws would prevent him from getting one...
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 04-16-21 at 10:40.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    That’s the question, why is he even out that time of night?
    Apparently he had a habit of running off. Mother had reported him missing days earlier but he returned the following day. Sounds like he ran off again but wasn't reported missing even though it took the cops a couple days to identify the body and notify the mother.

---------

Don Terry, director of the Police Department’s Office of News Affairs, told Block Club that Adam Toledo was reported missing on March 26. The following day, police checked with the boy’s mother, who told them he had returned home.

She did not report him missing again, Terry said, so that case was considered closed. As for the delay in telling Adam Toledo’s mother about the killing, Terry said police spent two days trying to identify the boy’s body. He said they called Adam’s mother after seeing his description matched the recently closed missing person case.

More here: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/04...r-killing-him/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The entire point of calling it a bad shoot is if this officer was held to the same standard as a civilian in a defensive shooting where the kid drops the weapon and empty hands are shown and I shot him anyway would I lose in court? Im going to have to say most likely. Its been drilled into my head by dudes like Craig Douglas if that kid had shown a banana/cellphone/wallet in the same scenario and I shot him I would end up in jail. The court also has the luxury of going frame by frame unfortunately for that officer. By that standard I call it a bad shoot. Its going to take some force on force expert a whole lot of explaining about reactionary gap and human reaction time to convince a jury that it wasnt a bad shoot.

I dont either, nor do I care that some wannabe gangster kid doing dirty work for his gangster friends gets dropped regardless of his age. All I care about is whether or not a civilian in the same scenario would get ruled a bad shoot or a good shoot. When using the measuring stick of "HANDS! HANDS! HANDS! whats in his hands?" A regular civilian in the same scenario is going to jail.
    Ive investigated more than one citizen self defense shooting where the suspect was unarmed at the time he was shot but was armed prior and/or making perceived threats. I havent seen one arrested or charged yet. Hell, a couple Ive personally driven back to their homes after being interviewed at headquarters.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Cop saw the gun, then quick turn and movement of the hands... it's a clean shoot all day long. If you think the cop should have waited to "be sure" go watch that New Mexico video. Press, politihoes, and TLM are gonna do their spin.

Go ahead. Burn Chi-town to the ground. I give zero shits.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm aware of three citizen shootings where the one shot was not armed in my jurisdiction in the last 3 years, no arrests, no charges. It really depends on the totality of the circumstances, and the local PA.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast