Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer Springs

Feedback Score
    Not an armorer by any means, just a trigger yanker and shade tree gun butcher. That said, I don't recall seeing a hammer spring failure. Not in the Corps, and not in my guns. Not in 16s, M4s, 249s, or civvy ARs. I've got one over 10k, and one somewhere around 5-6k, others between 0-3k (estimated, but close).

Maybe I'm the odd man out, and I'm just lucky, but I have never had an issue with an M-/AR FCG other than an A2 burst FCG that went to shit.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've broken two hammer struts on 1911s while shooting, that doesn't mean everyone should stock up on 1911 hammer struts. Same thing with hammer springs, like I mentioned earlier, there is a context that comes into play. Doc said the same thing. People can believe whatever they want, but you might want to stop and wonder why one group sees a problem, and others do not.

The only reason I have a supply of hammer springs in with my traveling equipment is that people have a habit of bending the spring leg to get a "better" trigger pull, and also because springs wear out over time. Between firing and teaching classes, I've seen multiple hundreds of thousands of rounds fired, and never has a trigger spring just "broken". Again, context matters, and in the point of this post we have none.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m confident that I’ve seen more broken bolts than broken hammer springs.
    Well, bolts were number two on the list of most frequently replaced parts, right ahead of hammer springs.

Barrels were number one...

The point is: if Battlefield Las Vegas says that hammer springs have to replaced regularly, there is little reason to question this, because a number of other places also note that hammer springs are high on the list of consumables . . .
    Last edited by lysander; 04-13-21 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Meh. Hammer springs are cheap. Can't hurt to replace all the springs in a rifle when you replace the bolt or barrel.

Feedback Score
    The FA fire is probably the reason for the increased hammer spring failures.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12