Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Next step for reliability upgrade

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The ONLY extra power springs I would even consider are a Sringco extractor spring.

I would use a stock carbine spring with an H2 or H3, or a stock rifle spring and an A5H2 or 3.

The stock hammer springs are stout and will reliably light any primer in any ammo good enough to trust your life to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Thanks, Joe. I fully understand and agree with your advice, and indeed I DO have some spare parts, but again, I'm focusing on the reliability of what's installed, not what spare parts to have available. Sort of like focusing on the most dependable tires on your car, and not the quality of your spare tire. Again, thanks.
    Sorry Ruark, you're right. For some reason, I didn't finish my thought in what I wrote. I meant to say replace your current extractor/spring setup (what is in your gun now) with the new parts you buy. Test the new parts to make sure they work together, and if they do, keep them in the gun. Since you bought multiples, you will have identical spares that you know work.

I know this might seem wasteful to some, but that's why I said "if you don't mind spending the money."

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I like what you are doing, but if you are focused on utter reliability, having a spare bolt handy that can immediately be dropped into your carrier if the other one breaks seems like the best insurance.

Like though you bought the best tires, you know that sometimes a pothole screws up your day, so your spare isn’t just a spare but a full size wheel that will run forever until you get to Discount Tire to get a new tire to use on your original wheel as the new “spare.”

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Any suggestions for a next step for reliability enhancement?
    You've cleaned up a few problems for sure in their buffer parts. We fixed a BUNCH of failures on one of those guns that a guy brought out to shoot with us. The mag catch actually broke on his. The buffer roll pin walked out and was raking the action spring. I might consider replacing the entire Lower parts kit.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of the sprinco blue with an h2.
    Might be overkill, but I like the balance of mass and force.

For carbine springs, stick with known good ones like colt.

Only other suggestion would be a spare bolt, also from a known quality source

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12