Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is primer varnish a mil-spec feature?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    No idea. I'm sure it varies between manufacturers. Could be that mil jackets are thicker for more penetration, and like you say, commercial thinner to save money.

55 gr FMJ are such bad projectiles, I almost never shoot them.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a bunch of pull downs but they're in storage. next time I am by there i'll grab a few and take a pic to compare. the mil bullets will have a much thinner jacket than commercial.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think people have sectioned bullets before to compare construction, but that was years back when M193 was something worth owning.

Getting wrapped up in a 55 gr FMJ bullet's construction is fruitless. The bullet isn't good for much more than short/medium range practice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I think people have sectioned bullets before to compare construction, but that was years back when M193 was something worth owning.

Getting wrapped up in a 55 gr FMJ bullet's construction is fruitless. The bullet isn't good for much more than short/medium range practice.
    Truth

If you have nothing else, any .223/5.55 FMJ beats a service pistol round. If you have a choice, any .223/5.56 FMJ is a poor performer compared to a good bonded or solid copper bullet.

FWIW, primers seal pretty well in new cases anyway. We had that discussion here in the not too distant past.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-17-21 at 19:52.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12