Thread: Scratches/Dings/raised areas in Colt Bore?

Feedback Score

Scratches/Dings/raised areas in Colt Bore?

I purchased a brand new Colt EPR AR and took it to the range a few weeks ago. I shot about a hundred rounds through it. When I went to clean it after the range I ran a bore scope through it and noticed what appeared to be scratches or dings in the lands... I've attached pictures of some of the spots... This had me concerned, but recently I took some pictures with a flash light shining through the muzzle thus acting as a backlight. I discovered that those portions that at fist appeared to be scratches or dings now look like RAISED areas... These marking are mainly focused toward the beginning of the barrel before the gas port. Do these markings look concerning to yall? What do you think they are? Is it super heavy copper fouling??? If so, I haven't ever seen it act like this before... I've ran a bunch of hoppes and boretech copper remover through it, and have done tones of brushstrokes through it, but its still the same...
    here are the pictures

First Pictures without backlight: https://imgur.com/a/ssTLvkc

Pictures with backlight: https://imgur.com/a/W8kmiwe

The rifle I bought has the "Davidsons life time guarantee" Do yall think I should try to send it in to get replaced?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    How is the accuracy?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How is the accuracy?
    I didn't really test for accuracy while I was there, I was just shooting for fun. Ill have to mount a scope to really test for accuracy at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That would be my deciding factor. If it shoots well, I'd just keep it. If accuracy is bad, then I'd look at options.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Throw the borescope away!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The first picture looks pretty normal to me. the second looks like the bore is dirty, even though you've cleaned it.

Might try some of this, before giving up on it.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...-prod1160.aspx

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks normal to me, besides the weird lighting in the second set.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just shoot it. Colt isn’t going to fix shit.

Feedback Score
    Doesn't look like chrome flaking to me, I would guess new barrel fouling off of the pics. Pic below is chrome flaking which presents as little craters not raised areas. Put down the cleaning rod, excessive cleaning has ruined more guns than just about anything else.
    Chrome Flaking.jpg