Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle or Pistol Lower for Form 1/SBR: Does it matter?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Rifle or Pistol Lower for Form 1/SBR: Does it matter?

So, I'm getting ready to Form 1/SBR a couple of lowers. I have both rifle and pistol lowers that are good candidates.

My question is whether or not choosing a lower that was initially manufactured and purchased as part of a factory pistol or a factory rifle has advantages/disadvantages/implications once I Form 1 the lower and build my SBR.

When I tried to research this one I found a number of confusing threads. Hoping someone here has "the answer".

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Legally, no. However, the pistol lower gives you more flexibility than a rifle lower so it seems logically to SBR rifle lowers IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    the pistol lower gives you more flexibility than a rifle lower so it seems logically to SBR rifle lowers IMO.
    Please elaborate regarding what you mean.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Please elaborate regarding what you mean.
    Legally, you can use a pistol lower with a 10.3" upper or an 18" upper. You can't do that with a rifle lower.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Legally, you can use a pistol lower with a 10.3" upper or an 18" upper. You can't do that with a rifle lower.
    ^^^This

Also, if you ever remove it from the registry (yeah, who does that?) I don't think you can ever use it as pistol again.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clarification. I have never made a SBR'ing decision based on whether starting with a pistol or rifle lower would be better. There have always been other factors that push me in one direction or the other. Sometimes starting with a rifle is better and sometimes starting with a pistol is better. For example, I just received back the Form 1 for my Sig 552P. Only pistols were available because they were easier to import. Adding a stock is super easy. On the other hand, when I SBR'd my Arsenal SLR-104UR, starting with a rifle was better because the barrel just had to be chopped. If I had started with a pistol, it would have required significant work on the receiver.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Honestly dude, I wouldn’t even do it. I have several and a trust and all that jazz and I wish I didn’t. It just put my name on a list and literally no one in a free state gives a shit.

I strongly encourage you to live your life as though the constitution still matters and not pay a second tax on the products you already own.

This resistance is the most effective long term solution, not the NRA/GOA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Honestly dude, I wouldn’t even do it. I have several and a trust and all that jazz and I wish I didn’t. It just put my name on a list and literally no one in a free state gives a shit.

I strongly encourage you to live your life as though the constitution still matters and not pay a second tax on the products you already own.

This resistance is the most effective long term solution, not the NRA/GOA.
    Screw that. $200 is a small price to pay to be sure you're not going to federal prison for ten years.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My name is already on the NFA list so it is a non concern.

If you are active in the gun world rest assured your name is on a list already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    My name is already on the NFA list so it is a non concern.

If you are active in the gun world rest assured your name is on a list already.
    No joke. I'm sure the post office has me on at least one list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast