Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16” midlength vs 20” rifle length bolt life

Feedback Score

16” midlength vs 20” rifle length bolt life

So the 16” mid length is supposed to have less parts wear compared to the carbine length gas system, but how does it compare to 20” rifle gas system for bolt life?

I’m thinking of a Recce upper, and the extra velocity from 20” barrel isn’t gonna do too much, but wonder with the rifle gas system if it’s softer shooting and also less parts wear.

Feedback Score
    I think so.

Years ago, when I built an AR for 3-gun matches, I went with an 18" rifle length gas tube.

It shoots very soft

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    Do you really think you are going to shoot it enough for parts wear to be an issue?
    Mid length give you less recoil impulse than a carbine and a rifle length is even less.
    What are you looking to do with said rifle?
    You seem to looking at it from a parts wear issue and that is the backwards way to look at it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It all comes down to barrel length. The shorter the barrel, the more stress on the bolt. 20" will last indefinitely. Never heard of one breaking. You will eventually get headspace issues as with anything, but I've never heard of a lug or cam pin or anything like that actually breaking. This is evident in the many M16 parts kits running around that undoubtedly have a few too many rounds through them, but no cracked lugs or broken cam pins.

On a 16"? It's going to vary by port size, ammo, and firing schedule. Tens of thousands of rounds is a safe bet, though. 10" is where things really start to go off the rails, but word on the street is that Colt has made some improvements that have yielded longer lifespans on SBRs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Where’s @Clint to chime in on the OPTIMUM system?

Not sure if anyone has run a BRT barrel enough to see about wear on other components.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    The further the gas port is from the chamber the lower the pressure is going to be. The port will be larger, but everything else being equal it will be less "violent" working the bolt. Whether that translates to actual wear differences in your given scenario is debatable.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My rifle gas 18" is softer than a 20" rifle, but I cannot believe parts will show a significant wear/life span difference.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I cannot believe parts will show a significant wear/life span difference.
    ^^^This. At some point you can split hairs, all day but the barrel length /gas system should be prioritized on how you want you use the rifle. The quality of the rifle and the parts used in it have more to do with the longevity and wear then the barrel length/gas system length do.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank6046 View Post
    ^^^This. At some point you can split hairs, all day but the barrel length /gas system should be prioritized on how you want you use the rifle. The quality of the rifle and the parts used in it have more to do with the longevity and wear then the barrel length/gas system length do.
    That depends. On a 20 inch, just about anything will likely last forever. Aero, PSA, Anderson, you name it. On a 16 inch, any of the aforementioned would likely all last a really long time, like probably longer than the barrel. There's always that chance you'll be the one to get the lemon, but most places will do right by you. To me, it comes down to what the gun is used for. If it's a home defense weapon, I think Colt is the logical best bang for your buck. If it's just recreational, though, there are some awfully decent bolts out there for insane prices (or at least there were).
    Last edited by okie; 04-13-21 at 17:55.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Almost no one reading this post will ever wear out a bolt or barrel.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast