Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my first "real" optic

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Help me pick my first "real" optic

So not exactly my first but the first of it’s kind for me…

I’m currently using aimpoint Micro’s on my AR’s and traditional Leupold scopes on my 22’s. That’s about the extent of my scope experiences.

I’m setting up a new AR-10 and am looking at LPVO’s. I really don’t anticipate shooting beyond 400-500 yards.

I have a healthy budget for this. I’m comfortable spending up to $3,000 but don’t want to spend more than necessary.

Since I’m kinda new to this type of shooting and don’t have any method polluting my brain, I’m open to either MRAD or MOA. In either case I prefer first focal plane and I occasionally shoot at dawn/dusk.

I really wanted a thermal scope, but I can’t find anything that works as well in daylight as it does at night. If something like that exists, I would love to hear about it!

So far I’ve narrowed it down to these optics, solely based on reputation, but am certainly open to others:

Vortex RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10X24 FFP ($2,900) - https://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes...iflescope.html

Nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 ($2,800) - https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...tacr-1-8x24-f1

Primary Arms PLx 1-8x24mm ($1,500) - https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-plx8-...in-mil-reticle

Trijicon Credo 1-8x28 ($1,800) - https://www.trijicon.com/products/de...r828-c-2900032

There are some significant price differences between the Primary Arms and Trijicon vs the Vortex and Nightforce. Is the quality between these brands significant enough to warrant such an increase? Again, I have the budget, but why spend extra money if its not necessary?

Back to thermal… is there an add-on or attachment to add thermal capabilities to any of these scopes?

Thanks for reading and your feedback/recommendations!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have owned all of those optics except the PA one, and I have used that one. That being said, get the Vortex RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10X24 FFP. Hands down it is the best of the group.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have owned all of those optics except the PA one, and I have used that one. That being said, get the Vortex RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10X24 FFP. Hands down it is the best of the group.
    Hands down even over the ATACR? Hmmm, besides the additional 2x how is the Razor better?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Hands down even over the ATACR? Hmmm, besides the additional 2x how is the Razor better?
    FOV numbers on 1X are very, very different. I've got no time on either so I'm not making an endorsement/criticism, just pointing out a spec sheet difference.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I’m setting up a new AR-10 and am looking at LPVO’s. I really don’t anticipate shooting beyond 400-500 yards.

I have a healthy budget for this. I’m comfortable spending up to $3,000 but don’t want to spend more than necessary.

Since I’m kinda new to this type of shooting
    What kind of shooting? Do you actually need 1x at the low end, like you're going to be doing 3-gun or kicking in doors?

Even at "just" 400-500 yards you may find yourself wanting more than 10x. Sure, you can use 10x at 500 yards - no big deal. People have made hits at 1700 yards with iron sights. But it's not ideal, and unless you need the 1x low end, you can easily go to higher magnification and a much larger exit pupil without spending any more money. Something like a 3-18x would be an option.

No argument with the listed 1-8x and 1-10x scopes if you need 1x.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's a good point that I neglected to mention. True 1X is definitely a huge thing for me. For reference I tried an ACOG with 1.5 magnification and it just throws me off. I'm not kicking in doors or anything like that; pretty much just target shooting. I put 400-500 yards as the absolute maximum simply because the longest range within 2 hours from me is 200 yards and they might one day expand it. My other biggest requirement is dawn/dusk shooting. Don't know if any of these scopes offer any advantage over another in that regards. And of course I neglected FOV, which would be nice to have a lot of, but isn't my biggest concern given the narrow focus of this gun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yeah, that's what I'm hearing from a few shooters I spoke with as well. Have a friend with a Gen2 out of state. May try to borrow it to try...

Feedback Score
    Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10x24 EBR-9 MRAD Riflescope RZR-11002 $1,999.99
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Raz...RZR-11002.aspx

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm hearing from a few shooters I spoke with as well. Have a friend with a Gen2 out of state. May try to borrow it to try...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for Razor HD.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast