Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my first "real" optic

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not pulling the trigger just yet, but cheaper here https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...iflescope.html and coupon code "HONEY" brings it down to $1890. However, it's currently out of stock.
    Last edited by Bluto; 04-13-21 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    That's a good point that I neglected to mention. True 1X is definitely a huge thing for me. For reference I tried an ACOG with 1.5 magnification and it just throws me off. I'm not kicking in doors or anything like that; pretty much just target shooting. I put 400-500 yards as the absolute maximum simply because the longest range within 2 hours from me is 200 yards and they might one day expand it. My other biggest requirement is dawn/dusk shooting. Don't know if any of these scopes offer any advantage over another in that regards. And of course I neglected FOV, which would be nice to have a lot of, but isn't my biggest concern given the narrow focus of this gun.
    I would get a scope that makes sense for target shooting, and put an offset or top-mounted RDS on the rifle if you really want that true 1x capability.

For dawn/dusk shooting you need:
    -exit pupil
    -glass quality (coatings)
    -illumination, unless you're hunting and your state bans illumination for hunting purposes

Glass quality is no issue in your price range. Exit pupil is huge though. Exit pupil cannot exceed the objective diameter divided by the magnification. So that Vortex 1-10x24 will give you a 2.4mm exit pupil at 10x, which is marginal - not ideal in bright daylight, way too small at dusk. a 3-18x50 would give you 2.77mm at 18x, or 5mm at 10x, which is far better. Ideal exit pupil for dim light is 7mm; in bright light it's mostly personal preference, but 3-4mm usually gives a better eyebox and feel than smaller.

Field of view is mostly independent of objective size, but sometimes is slightly better with smaller objectives. In theory, larger objectives give more resolution, and smaller objectives give more FOV and depth of field, but in practice the scope manufacturer's engineering skill and price point outweigh the theoretical benefits. But not for exit pupil, that isn't flexible.

The 1-10x is a sub-marginal choice for conventional target shooting and for dim light. Don't care what you buy, just trying to help you buy the right thing based on your goals.

If you want to look at other options, consider:
    Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50
    Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44
    Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 (reportedly better than the older Mark 6 in some ways)
    Burris XTR Gen3 (US Made) 3.3-18x50
    Vortex Razor 3-18x50 (weighs about as much as a tank)
    Various Schmidt Bender, Kahles, Swarovski, etc.

Feedback Score
    if you're just target shooting, the extra $1000 for the NF is a waste of money. I own/owned the NF, and the gen2 vortex 1-6, and several other LPVO but not the gen3 1-10 vortex (yet), but i have played with them. I speculate that the NF is more rugged. It's for sure excellent glass, but the vortex is probably better for target shooting and 3gun style range stuff. That's the way I'd go anyway. swarovski and kahles also make 1-8x LPVO that have awesome glass.

if low light is a real concern, you can dial the magnification down to brighten the image as you're losing light. you can also get a bigger objective, but that starts to add a lot of weight

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    That's a good point that I neglected to mention. True 1X is definitely a huge thing for me. For reference I tried an ACOG with 1.5 magnification and it just throws me off. I'm not kicking in doors or anything like that; pretty much just target shooting. I put 400-500 yards as the absolute maximum simply because the longest range within 2 hours from me is 200 yards and they might one day expand it. My other biggest requirement is dawn/dusk shooting. Don't know if any of these scopes offer any advantage over another in that regards. And of course I neglected FOV, which would be nice to have a lot of, but isn't my biggest concern given the narrow focus of this gun.
    If 1x is very important to you, and you’re only shooting out to 500yds, I’d suggest a non FFP/1-6. Either the Kahles 1-6 or Razor Gen II 1-6. Both of those have unarguably the most forgiving eyebox and largest FOV at 1x. If you’re shooting on either 1x or 6x the FFP isn’t necessary. If you’re not comfortable and want more power, the Kahles 1-8 is an option. When you go from SFP to FFP as well as increase max magnification, the tradeoff is 1x performance. Hence me suggesting sfp 1-6’s.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Advise going MRAD/MIL/MIL for any tactical stuff.
    If (and when) you shoot with others most or all will be versed in MIL spotting/DOPE.

MOA is fine, but I see it used primarily in games/legit target shooting.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Hands down even over the ATACR? Hmmm, besides the additional 2x how is the Razor better?
    Field of view, eye box, and I really like the recital better. The Vortex Gen III on 1X is truly awesome. One of the best scopes for 1X out there and 10X will really get you out there if you need it. I have one on my 308 Noveske AR and was rocking steel at 600 yards with no issues.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

If 1X is definitely a huge thing for you, FOV (at 1x) should be a big concern for you.
    Last edited by Warp; 04-14-21 at 19:31.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A lot of wise words in this thread that I certainly kept in mind when I decided to go with the Primary Arms SLx 3-18x50mm FFP Rifle Scope (https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...mr-308-reticle)

Honestly, I was prepared to spend much, much more and I will be the first to admit this isn't the top-tier scope I had in mind. That being said, a friend of mine let me borrow his and I really, really like the reticle. It's absolutely perfect for this rifle. The glass isn't perfect, but it's danm close and the eye relief, eye box, FOV, etc. are all great. I had to give on on the true 1X that I really wanted, but I rationalized the higher magnification would come in handy as this will be a mid to long range rifle more than a close range one.

If Vortex, Leupold or some other higher-tier manufacturer had this exact reticle I would have absolutely considered them. I'm looking forward to trying it out this summer with a "guess the distance" game.

Thank you all for the much appreciated and valued advice!!

Feedback Score
    not to pick nits, but "giving on true 1x" usually means like 1.1x, not 3x

BDC reticles are appropriate if all of the following are true:
    -you will only use the exact ammo they were designed for
    -you have giant friggin targets
    -you don't really care if you hit or miss them
    -your targets are precisely spaced 100 yards apart and never closer or farther
    -you never plan to adjust for weather, light, angle to target, spin drift, or really anything at all
    -you will never spot for anyone or have anyone spot for you
    -your barrel doesn't speed up or slow down over the life of the scope

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a fan of Leupold.

That said, I'm not super sold on the whole LPVO thing. I've had several, and I noticed the same thing everyone else does, you never use the magnification range. You either use it at 1x (and most are truly lacking in that department) or all the way zoomed in.

With that in mind, I'm starting to warm back up to either magnifiers or offset micro red dots. Not saying LPVOs are bad, but the good ones are crazy expensive, and I'm just not sure if they really offer any extra utility. The only I've seen that really makes sense to me is the S&B short dot, and yea, crazy expensive.

If you do decide to go that route, I would emphasize 1st focal plane. There is simply no reticle that's usable at 1x that's going to be useful at 6x+, and the other way around. Even then, many if not most have extremely fat reticles that are essentially useless at distance. The good ones have a separate dot in the second focal plane, but again those are the really expensive ones.
    Last edited by okie; 04-23-21 at 21:53.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast