Thread: Help me pick my first "real" optic

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Warp and Okie--knock off the crap and drive on----
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I have owned all of those optics except the PA one, and I have used that one. That being said, get the Vortex RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10X24 FFP. Hands down it is the best of the group.
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Field of view, eye box, and I really like the reticle better. The Vortex Gen III on 1X is truly awesome. One of the best scopes for 1X out there and 10X will really get you out there if you need it. I have one on my 308 Noveske AR and was rocking steel at 600 yards with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    Another vote for Razor HD.
    This is my official vote as well.

I had a Gen II E and it was fantastic, but I once the III came out I knew it was a matter of time until I upgraded. Was not disappointed.

It's a great RDS sub (as much as an LPVO that doesn't have unlimited eye relief can be) at 1X with the nuclear bright eye grabbing red dot, yet also works extremely well for higher power precise shooting with the semi-transparent 1 MOA center dot.

The center dot and the four surrounding hash marks are all illuminated, and at low power (like 1-2x, maybe 3x depending) the hash marks coalesce with the center dot to give you the nice big bright RDS that you want for speed at low power/1x. But as soon as you dial in any zoom, they separate, and the partly see-through 1 MOA center is excellent for carefully aimed precision.

You can find a lot of in depth reviews and reticle breakdowns on YouTube and forums if you want to learn more, but a little prequel: The SME's and YouTube personas I trust (like Aaron Cowan, Defoor, John Lovell, Mike aka Garand Thumb, etc) I have found universally praise it.

It really seems like a can't-go-wrong choice.

I said previously that with your concern for 1X, you should be concerned with FOV. Well, the Razors have fantastic FOV. The Gen III has a tiny bit more than the Gen II, even, and despite being a FFP that goes to 10x, it's FOV on 1x bests many of the best SFP scopes out there

At the same time, you are talking about 500 yards...so the super usable FFP reticle and 10x mag also appears to be a great match for your intentions. I sure as hell wouldn't want to use a 3x magnifier on an RDS shooting to 500 yards or anywhere even close.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    If 1x is very important to you, and you’re only shooting out to 500yds, I’d suggest a non FFP/1-6. Either the Kahles 1-6 or Razor Gen II 1-6. Both of those have unarguably the most forgiving eyebox and largest FOV at 1x. If you’re shooting on either 1x or 6x the FFP isn’t necessary. If you’re not comfortable and want more power, the Kahles 1-8 is an option. When you go from SFP to FFP as well as increase max magnification, the tradeoff is 1x performance. Hence me suggesting sfp 1-6’s.
    I have both (K16i SMI for the Kahles) and they are 1x eyebox monsters.

But you know what? The FFP Gen III Razor falls in between those two. More FOV than the Gen II, little less than the Kahles.

The Gen III Razor is just a winner

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I have both (K16i SMI for the Kahles) and they are 1x eyebox monsters.

But you know what? The FFP Gen III Razor falls in between those two. More FOV than the Gen II, little less than the Kahles.

The Gen III Razor is just a winner
    I didn’t think so at all. Noticeably tighter then the GEN II. Great for what it is (10x, ffp), but I def didn’t think comparable, much less better.

Feedback Score
    just a comment about the type of shooting one is likely to do. wild speculation here, but were in i someplace like oklahoma where you might want to shoot something really close, but you can also see 15 miles in every direction, the odds that i would either be on 1x or max magnification are pretty good. flipping a magnifier back and forth might be a pretty good solution.

last year i moved into the national forest in the east TN mountains, and my thoughts have changed a bit. I mostly practice on 6" circles, from 10-160 yards or so, and my eyes are not what they used to be.

I find that even the 1.2x mag is noticeably slower on the shot timer than 1x, so i definitely like the 1x for up close targets. and if I'm shooting out to 300-400-500 yards, i definitely like the 8x. but in the 80-120 yard range, with targets deep in the woods, i find it helps to move the dial to 2x-3x. Anything more and I get slower. Anything less and i start leaking rounds just off the edge of the plate.

on 1x, i feel like i'm shooting a red dot. one 8x i feel like i'm shooting precision rifle. on 2-3x i feel like i'm wearing reading glasses. I don't really use 4-7x

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I didn’t think so at all. Noticeably tighter then the GEN II. Great for what it is (10x, ffp), but I def didn’t think comparable, much less better.
    You found the Gen III eyebox on 1x noticeably tighter than the Gen II on 1x?

I was speaking directly to field of view in that post, though, the Gen III has a wider FOV on 1x than the Gen II does, that's a simple specification we can look up to verify.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    All I can say is I am very pleased with my K16i SMI. I don't think I could have done any better at the time for myself but I'll be looking hard at Vortex RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10X24 FFP for my next purchase.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234