Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat McNamara Combat Strength Training (CST)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Pat McNamara Combat Strength Training (CST)

Pat Mac is awesome, just a great dude and all around beast. I have his CST ebook; I'd love to take one of his 'live' CST classes but nothing scheduled for 2021.

Anyone in here do his CST program?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I do some of the exercises he posts. I used to follow him on FB but it got hacked and I unfollowed him. I like a lot of his theories on functional fitness.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I do some of the exercises he posts. I used to follow him on FB but it got hacked and I unfollowed him. I like a lot of his theories on functional fitness.
    I think he was a bit ahead of his time re: functional fitness. Now others are on board.

I do some of the things in his ebook, but I don't have access to a lot of the equipment he uses.

Feedback Score
    I follow on instagram and he does some stuff i have incorporated into my workouts. I used to do all standard strength training, but functional training does make sense (especially now that i am pushing 40)

I should probably pony up and buy the ebook

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I think he was a bit ahead of his time re: functional fitness. Now others are on board.

I do some of the things in his ebook, but I don't have access to a lot of the equipment he uses.

Yeah he’s actually a really smart dude even though he has the crazed meat head persona. And I’m trying to acquire more equipment but I don’t have a lot of room, everything has been out of stock and I’m healing injuries. I’m starting with smaller stuff like bands and balls.

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I follow on instagram and he does some stuff i have incorporated into my workouts. I used to do all standard strength training, but functional training does make sense (especially now that i am pushing 40)

I should probably pony up and buy the ebook
    I’m in the same boat. Looking at 40 in a few years and stupid movements and poor workouts are starting to catch up to me. I do still do standard strength stuff but I try to incorporate more functional and non-standard movements now.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    Yeah he’s actually a really smart dude even though he has the crazed meat head persona. And I’m trying to acquire more equipment but I don’t have a lot of room, everything has been out of stock and I’m healing injuries. I’m starting with smaller stuff like bands and balls.

I’m in the same boat. Looking at 40 in a few years and stupid movements and poor workouts are starting to catch up to me. I do still do standard strength stuff but I try to incorporate more functional and non-standard movements now.

I am just about closer to 53 than 52. So many injuries, I want to preserve what I have.

Agreed, he is wicked smart. He plays multiple musical instruments, does wood working, art, writes, into gardening. He can even ride a unicycle for freak's sake.

I have bands (both the big 'rubber' bands as well as the 'cable' style with handles), some dumbbells, a pull up bar, a weight vest. I am not going to pay $100-something bucks for a nylon bag to fill with sand; I am sure I can find an old canvas or nylon bag laying around I can use. I have two empty big-ass cat food containers I am going to fill with pea gravel for farmer carries.

I wish he'd do another CST class; I am only about 90 minutes from him.

Feedback Score
    Didn't know Mac had a fitness thing going, makes sense though. Dude's an animal, he's in great shape for any age let alone his. I'll check it out. Grassyass.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hmmmmmm, will have to look him up & buy his CST program!

That said, I follow Tom Venuto’s eBook tittled “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle” and LOVE that he teaches a lot about approach, mindset, diet, body type (VERY important!), and age, with many exercise regimens. Plus I have our M4-own eBook by Will Brink.

But lately I’ve been into the videos (YouTube) by Ryan Humiston. Man I get a kick out of him, he sure has a way w/ words! Turning 61 in a month ... and the other night I did the most weight in a bench press in over the past 20-years just by following Ryan’s super-set workouts and only 30-seconds between sets. Yes, it took a while to build back up to what weight ‘where I once was’, but I now feel better, workout faster as in more targeted, and the weights going up.

Am also a firm believer in hitting the muscles various ways, like have a Woss Suspension strap system and various bands to Ultra-heavy, that finally helped me get past the 10 chins fully above the bar pullup threshold. These methods are super for someone of uhhhhhhhh ... an advanced age too.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post

That said, I follow Tom Venuto’s eBook tittled “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle” and LOVE that he teaches a lot about approach, mindset, diet, body type (VERY important!), and age, with many exercise regimens. Plus I have our M4-own eBook by Will Brink.

But lately I’ve been into the videos (YouTube) by Ryan Humiston. Man I get a kick out of him, he sure has a way w/ words! Turning 61 in a month ... and the other night I did the most weight in a bench press in over the past 20-years just by following Ryan’s super-set workouts and only 30-seconds between sets. Yes, it took a while to build back up to what weight ‘where I once was’, but I now feel better, workout faster as in more targeted, and the weights going up.

Am also a firm believer in hitting the muscles various ways, like have a Woss Suspension strap system and various bands to Ultra-heavy, that finally helped me get past the 10 chins fully above the bar pullup threshold. These methods are super for someone of uhhhhhhhh ... an advanced age too.
    McNamara's CST is also big on approach/diet/body type (he calls our bodies 'combat chassis'). He is a huge proponent of performance-based, working within yourself, making improvements as your body allows. He also has a crap-ton of videos on YT.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post

Which you got?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast