Thread: FN 20” button cut barrel gtg?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

FN 20” button cut barrel gtg?

I’ve been looking at a 20” FN button cut barrel and haven’t been able to find any reviews of them. Seems like their chf barrels are a lot more popular.

Anyone know if these are good barrels? I’m particularly interested in a true 5.56 chamber and .093” gas port as I don’t have any interest in deviating from that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Should be fine. But each button rifled barrel is its own animal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I might be extra alert for QC issues right now what with the demand for gun stuff potentially causing manufacturers to push products out more rapidly, but that’s nothing specific to FN, more of an industry-wide thing right now. Aside from that it should be perfectly fine.

I think the FN CHF barrels are more popular mostly “Cuz CHF”. IIRC the M16/M4 barrels FN makes for its US government contract rifles are button rifled, because that’s what the TDP calls for.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I might be extra alert for QC issues right now what with the demand for gun stuff potentially causing manufacturers to push products out more rapidly, but that’s nothing specific to FN, more of an industry-wide thing right now. Aside from that it should be perfectly fine.

I think the FN CHF barrels are more popular mostly “Cuz CHF”. IIRC the M16/M4 barrels FN makes for its US government contract rifles are button rifled, because that’s what the TDP calls for.
    Pushing/pulling a button isn't rocket science. Not too many ways to f it up. Same with CHF barrels. There many ways to F up a barrel after it is rifled.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reputable barrel makers will continue producing at their existing quality standards. At some point, the machines that make them will wear and introduce some slop but, that is pretty easy to recognize and fix.

Now, cheap fly-by-night makers of questionable pedigree are a different subject.

Feedback Score
    The 20" FN button rifled barrel is the same barrel FN uses on their M16A4 rifles that they sell to the military. It is definately a quality barrel which should give many thousands of rounds of trouble free and accurate service.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one of their barrels on my M16A4 build. I average about 2-3 MOA using M193 and iron sights. IraqGuns looked it over and everything was in spec.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"