Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a light

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have one M600DF, 3 HLX, and a self potted Solarforce L2p, retrofitted to a SF SR tape switch.
    I have no experience with Modlight, or Cloud Defensive. But I am very interested in a Modlight head for my DF.
    I also think Rein looks very interesting.

Out of what I have experienced, you just can’t beat an HLX, for the price! It is an excellent weapon light, probably the best, budget option.

I have had a lot of dimming issues with the DF, unless I use the tail cap switch. I have fixed the flickering problem, using an SR switch, but it still isn’t as bright, as using the tail cap.
    I’m kind of dissatisfied with the fact that a $150 SR switch, is incapable of supply the needed current to fully power the light.
    I am also disappointed that the DF doesn’t preform as well as a HLX that is half the price.
    This is why I have 3 HLXs.

Feedback Score
    We had the Inforce WMLs, white and IR on our duty weapons and I was pretty rough with them and never had a problem. Have them on two of my favs at home and haven't been particularly gentle with those rifles either. Never had an issue. Are they too inexpensive to have even got a mention here or are there issues I am not experiencing?
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    We had the Inforce WMLs, white and IR on our duty weapons and I was pretty rough with them and never had a problem. Have them on two of my favs at home and haven't been particularly gentle with those rifles either. Never had an issue. Are they too inexpensive to have even got a mention here or are there issues I am not experiencing?
    I found a few negative reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    I’ve had 3 rifle/ 1 pistol. Good price point, and I liked the design, 2 went back, 2 have held up well. Customer service was good, but I have replaced all the rifle units with surefire.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Picked one of these up as an experiment for something lighter and thinner than my typical go to X300U and TLR-1 lights.

I put 100rds through the setup today and noticed the pin holding the activation paddle on is walking out. Is this a common issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I remember some forum members discussing in a thread a while back about the Inforce WML and its possible parasitic drain. Some members reported it while other didn't notice it at all. I have five of these now - two gray and three black.

Out of curiosity I decided to check my lights. All three of the black units lit up instantly and brightly. The two gray units were completely dead! Now, since I change the batteries on all of my weaponlights at the same time (bi-monthly, unless needed), I know that I haven't used them since installing fresh Surefire CR123s. SO... I conclude that it is a problem associated with the earlier "gray" WMLs and not the black ones. Can anyone offer any evidence to the contrary or that could possibly reinforce this theory? I think I may have solved the mystery of why some people complain of battery drain while it is a non-issue for others.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Modlite or Cloud Defensive.

Beauty of the modlite is the modularity and output. If you already have one of the compatible bodies, just pick up a modlite head. They are high quality and the output is amazing; great throw, nice hot spot, and just the right amount of spill whether it be the OKW or PLH2.

Cloud Defensive is tough as nails too and they also have great output. Their lineup isn't as broad as SF or modlite but they are building. Downfall of their OWL is its large footprint; if you run lasers and such you might want a different one or use their REIN.

Surefire is like the Colt of lights. When in doubt you cannot really go wrong with one, but they are behind the ball curve on modern low light variables.

Arisaka is another top notch contender.

Best budget: Streamlight. They have good outputs and relatively tough, but they also aren't as reliable as the aforementioned.

Stay away from Inforce, Olight, or pretty much any other brand other than the above. You have issues like build quality, parasitic battery loss, output degradation when in use, shotty circuitry, etc.

Feedback Score
    I personally run nothing but Streamlight. I have one on my AR, and the forend light on my shotgun. No issues so far. For me they are the best price-to-performance lights. Granted, I will probably never run them HARD and rigorously, but they work well for what I use them for.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm on the opposite side of this argument. I don't run my lights often enough to use a rechargeable system. So much like a cordless drill or a cordless weed whacker... the time I go to use it, the thing is dead, and won't take a charge because I don't cycle the battery regularly.

Rechargeable stuff has its place, but not for me.
    That's really isn't how lithium batteries work now days. Charging cycles is what kills it eventually, not using it doesn't. Those were the Nicad days of long past. I have 18650 batteries sitting in a cardboard box that haven't been charged for over 6 years. I checked their voltage and they are about 90% still.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Use the TLR-1 HL, should have plenty of light. The diff models over time have kept upping the lumens.

Not as solidly durable as the Surefire, but for HD and domestic usage they're great.

Since you have it already, take it to the range and run it at night and see how you like it.

If using it for indoor HD, consider that 1000+ lumens might not be as helpful as it would be outside with far throw.

I have a low lumen "yellow/natural" Malkoff head on a 6P that actually works best IME for indoor "dead of night". Why? because my eyes are still adjusting from a dark environment and even low lumens is plenty unless your house is huge.

Ran a 1000 lumen light on a rifle for fun and realized that with white walls it got a bit overwhelming. But my house isn't all that big. do what works for you
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 08-29-21 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    One thing that also seems cheesy to me is Streamlight's tape switch - especially the mounting arrangement. Cloud defense makes a more robust (looking) mount. Is that combo GTG?

Honestly I like the 1000 lumen Streamlight HLX's throw, and as I said before I really only need to ID at 50 yards or less.

Is this worth a serious look? Link to Cloud Defense/Streamlight HLX combo
    I have Streamlight Pro-Tac Rail Mount 2 Long Gun Light mounted on Haley Strategic Thorntail SBR Offset Adaptive Light Mount - Scout, which in turn is mounted to a Pic rail section (Key Mod in my case) and held in the 2 O'clock position just behind my brake. My tape switch is mounted to a Cloud Defense Light Control System mounted to the top Pic rail.

The whole thing works fine. And the money saved over a similar Surefire(Scout 600) can buy you another complete Streamlight 2 as a spare. The 625 Lumens and 22,000 candela is a good combo. Not too much, not to little. The dual fuel combo's in both Streamlight and Surefire have been more problematical with flickering problems affecting some of both brands. Pure 123A batteries weapon lights are a safer bet until dual fuel lights are better perfected. IMHO and YMMV.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 08-29-21 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Did my first night match a few weeks ago and I learned that my SF M300 was about worthless for target beyond 50m-75m.
    The light just did not have enough throw for stuff beyond 75m and not enough penetration of smoke with still air. I had to move out of the rifle's smoke several times to light up the target.

I am looking at going to a Modlite or a Cloud Defensive light after seeing what others were using.

I do need a little help though.
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of 18650 vs 18350 batteries?

I was hoping to stay with CR-123 (for commonalty of battery stock/availability) but that doesn't look like it will happen.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Did my first night match a few weeks ago and I learned that my SF M300 was about worthless for target beyond 50m-75m.
    The light just did not have enough throw for stuff beyond 75m and not enough penetration of smoke with still air. I had to move out of the rifle's smoke several times to light up the target.

I am looking at going to a Modlite or a Cloud Defensive light after seeing what others were using.

I do need a little help though.
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of 18650 vs 18350 batteries?

I was hoping to stay with CR-123 (for commonalty of battery stock/availability) but that doesn't look like it will happen.
    Size and runtime. If you don't absolutely need a smaller light, I'd suggest the 18650.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast