Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a light

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I was just getting ready to ask about this. Glad I found this thread. Is the Protac rail mount decent?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On a set it and forget it kind of gun, sure. Anything you're gonna put some serious rounds on, it'll prob need replacement at some point. That one for what ever reason had a few more issues than others.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I was just getting ready to ask about this. Glad I found this thread. Is the Protac rail mount decent?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I have a HLX 1000 lumen. It's a decent light, I wouldn't have an issue using for home defense or in doors, but I honestly think that my inforce 800, and my Surefire Scout DF are a better lights altogether.
    I understand that people have a hard time paying $300 for a light, but currently there isn't many options available for less that have the same quality and capabilities. Streamlight seems to be an effective budget option, but if you can afford more than that is the direction I would push you towards.

Feedback Score
    I was disappointed by the candela of the Surefire for my needs and went HLX. You already have the X300 and it’s a good light for sure. You can buy a tape switch for the X300 like I put on my Tavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Let's narrow this down.

I think I need to be more specific. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I'm a little surprised no one has addressed the notion that my uppers are suppressed. Probably best to show you what I'm dealing with.

First up is an 11.5 Geissele with a Surefire RC2. Seems to me with the can it'll throw a shadow and that shadow could be offset by a light cantilevered forward as much as possible. The fact that the upper is short makes me think a tailcap switch could likely be OK. So my options on this one are maybe the X300 at 12:00, possibly with the add on tape switch (which is another $150 or so). Or some sort of Surefire 600/Streamlight Protac/Modlite etc on maybe an Arisaka offset mount at 2 o-clock.

G11.5.jpg

Second up is a Thunderbeast DSU. This one has a 10.3 bbl with the suppressor under the handguard (that's it under the yellow fishnet protector). Still waiting for my stamp on it but I'm pretty sure I won't want my hands over the suppressor section after I've fired even half a mag of ammo. So the light could go forward at 12:00 or offset Arisaka but in this case I'm thinking a tape switch will almost certainly be mandatory. And the light will see some heat up there.

DSU.JPG

So I'm trying to mount a workable light on each upper in a way that provides easy control of the light without cooking my hand, and minimizes the shadow from the large diameter suppressor.

And I still just want something proven and "6920-ish" if possible.

I think i'm in the $300+ realm here no matter what I do. Tape switch for the X300 is like 150, think I can do it a bit cheaper for the Streamlight TLR-1-HL.

Again don't mind paying if it gives me a significantly better setup.

Sorry I wasn't more specific out of the gate.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 04-15-21 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    No experience personally but I see these used on similar setups to your Geissele.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Lightbar-Scout-Mount/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I prefer the SureFire Duel Fuels and think that meets your criteria, though it may be more of a BCM/DD than 6920. The Modlights have some high fanboyism but they're expensive AF and last I checked, had kind of shitty battery life. They do have all of the candela though, so they can throw light like a mofo.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    One thing that also seems cheesy to me is Streamlight's tape switch - especially the mounting arrangement. Cloud defense makes a more robust (looking) mount. Is that combo GTG?

Honestly I like the 1000 lumen Streamlight HLX's throw, and as I said before I really only need to ID at 50 yards or less.

Is this worth a serious look? Link to Cloud Defense/Streamlight HLX combo
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 04-15-21 at 21:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    One thing that also seems cheesy to me is Streamlight's tape switch. Cloud defense makes a more robust (looking) switch. Is it GTG?

Honestly I like the 1000 lumen Streamlight HLX's throw, and as I said before I really only need to ID at 50 yards or less.

Is this worth a serious look? Link to Cloud Defense/Streamlight HLX combo
    Cloud defensive stuff is very nice and I’ve owned them. The HLX Tapeswitch supposedly has been improved from earlier rail mounts and I’ve never had a problem with the one on my duty rifle. The throw is why I went with it and sold my scout light. Same reason I sold my X300 and went back with the TLR

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Surefire Scouts or Arisaska/Malkoff combos for durability, reliability and performance- the 6920 approach if you will. No experience with Modlite, Streamlight if on a budget.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I prefer the SureFire Duel Fuels and think that meets your criteria, though it may be more of a BCM/DD than 6920. The Modlights have some high fanboyism but they're expensive AF and last I checked, had kind of shitty battery life. They do have all of the candela though, so they can throw light like a mofo.
    Modlites cost no more than a SF DF and blow them away in output. Duel Fuels are great lights, I have no plans to replace mine but when it comes time to buy another light it will be another Modlite.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast