Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On high blood pressure...

Feedback Score

On high blood pressure...

Since being diagnosed with high blood pressure a few years ago, I've had to cut out the salt (and watch the salty foods), get more exercise, and take medication. Of course, the Internet has no end of suggestions to manage blood pressure, from prune juice to garlic.

For those of you in a similar condition, do you take medication or manage your blood pressure with diet/exercise/other means?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Meds, mine seems to be genetic. After being on it a few years I took up jogging(in addition to hiking) and got on a borderline vegan diet from the encouragement of a 7th Day Adventist friend dropping to 165 at 5'10" and BP had zero change compared to weighing 180-190 and eating whatever I wanted.

I will say the vegan diet claim of reducing inflammation seemed to have some merit. Going the extra mile, doing some new repetitive movement, turned ankles, and even a hernia repair did not produce the level of soreness or recovery time every one of those did before with my normal diet.

Feedback Score
    DIET !

Are you in shape ? Overweight ? Your diet ?
    I am going to guess you eat SAD (standard american diet) ?
    the modern food pyramid is crap !!! Utter crap our modern food is crap !

Industrialized seed oils would be more to blame then salt ! And that is starting to be shown and proven and when you look at problems such as cancer rates and so on they all coincide with the industrialization of our foods !

Best would be cut out all industrialized oils like canola/safflower margarines etc... olive and avocado pressed are OK Cut out all sugars and modern processed foods so pastas and breads etc...

At least Start by cutting out all sugars and oils first !
    then work on cutting down the breads and pastas by a huge amount realize they are not meant to live on as main courses if you like them just have them in small quantities in limited amounts as in not every day along with good real food sweet potato a green salad and steak breakfast eggs and bacon and maybe on the weekends if you really have to have your bread products make it with a english muffin sourdough would be better

Fill up on good whole solid food with animal protein and animal fat ! no more fast food crap no more throw it in the oven crap can ya tell I am on a mission here

That would be a start I am guessing UNLESS you eat that way already but salt does not cause the high blood pressure issue with any conclusive study ! Yes some can show it and their is one to debunk it but seed oils are a huge issue and most Americans get way to much of that petrol crap

https://time.com/3313332/salt-and-blood-pressure/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0425124909.htm and tons more

So so so many studies are debunking this juts like when the fat free craze came in the 70s 80s loaded things up with corn syrup and sugars and promoted as healthy cause its fat free and now we know fat is not the issue unless its crap fat like industrialized oils fake science and $$$ made them heart healthy kinda like when they used to prescribe smoking or the fat free or the .....

Look at obesity and diabetes today at a insane level only something like %12 of Americans are metabolic healthy ! 1of2 are pre diabetic etc...
    the modern diet and food systems is s scam and all about lobbyists and money

Change your diet to super healthy and avoid those things if your doc did not go over your diet and say quit those things IMHO get a new doc that is not about take these pills ! One that is about eat this healthy way
    It might take a bit to get in shape but you can and then get off anything they are putting you on ! Long term health get in shape !!!!
    Last edited by Honu; 04-16-21 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    My doc told me a year ago (when he added a third BP med) "High blood pressure is like arthritis and eyesight.....it doesn't get better with age!"

40mg Lisinopril/25mg HCTZ, and 2.5mg Amlodipine each day. I was diagnosed with hypertension while still in the Army in 1987 before I even turned 22. So maybe 34 years or so. My dosages have gradually increased over the decades.

Probably hereditary. Could go vegan and never touch a drop of alcohol again but hey, why suffer? I work out six or seven days a week (either cardio or weights) so that schedule ain't getting added to. Guess it's my medical "cross to bear" so to speak.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-16-21 at 19:30.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nursing student here. Take the salt restriction seriously. Too much salt will lead to too much fluid, which will increase your BP and could damage your kidneys.

Not sure what meds you're on but take them seriously as well. I also work in an ICU and you wouldn't believe the number of kidney failure patients we get with a history of high blood pressure. Kidneys are fragile and long term untreated hypertension will damage them. I also had a patient in clinical who sadly suffered a stroke due to not taking his BP meds and has a long road of recovery ahead of him.

Each case is individual, but in general take your prescribed meds, cut back on salt, and check your BP at least daily if not more often. Keeping a logbook of your vitals isn't a bad idea either. And watch out for swelling in your legs; it could indicate kidney damage.

Stay safe!

Feedback Score
    Double
    Last edited by Honu; 04-16-21 at 20:02.

Feedback Score
    Vegan is woke crap !
    Eat veggies with your meat sure but the whole vegan thing is crap and studies are showing this more and more do not buy into the modern woke idiocy of vegan eating !

Look up bone density and TOFI
    They sugar coat the bone density and massive visceral fat issues they all have in common !

Yes you can feel better short term going vegan for cutting out some crap but still eat crap oils crap grains so never heal and never get rid of inflammation completely etc. so its better for cutting out some sugars but not better healthy you then loose other areas just bad news !

No athlete that is vegan ever seems to get away with it for very long before they quit or often benched with massive injuries that do not heal and have major issues OR they are doing so much supplementing and lying about being one just to be woke vegan bend a knee types !

Vegan is up there with common sense gun laws and carbon tax they will tell you its better this way

Free country but open your eyes before you go vegan
    Last edited by Honu; 04-16-21 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Vegan is woke crap !
    Eat veggies with your meat sure but the whole vegan thing is crap and studies are showing this more and more do not buy into the modern woke idiocy of vegan eating !

Look up bone density and TOFI
    They sugar coat the bone density and massive visceral fat issues they all have in common !

Yes you can feel better short term going vegan for cutting out some crap but still eat crap oils crap grains so never heal and never get rid of inflammation completely etc. so its better for cutting out some sugars but not better healthy you then loose other areas just bad news !

No athlete that is vegan ever seems to get away with it for very long before they quit or often benched with massive injuries that do not heal and have major issues OR they are doing so much supplementing and lying about being one just to be woke vegan bend a knee types !

Vegan is up there with common sense gun laws and carbon tax they will tell you its better this way

Free country but open your eyes before you go vegan
    Fairly sure I saw that back in college where the vegan diet was French fries and similar. They did not look well.

7th Day Adventist buddy doesn't look like death warmed over and doesn't eat junk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When my Grandfather was like 85 they wanted to put him on high blood pressure meds.
    Instead my Dad had him drink two beers, one at lunch and one after dinner, brought his blood pressure right down.

Feedback Score
    Yup junk is what is bad for sure
    To much of it these days with so called energy drinks or health bars or meal replacement or things that look like a meal but are not really hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Fairly sure I saw that back in college where the vegan diet was French fries and similar. They did not look well.

7th Day Adventist buddy doesn't look like death warmed over and doesn't eat junk.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast