Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On high blood pressure...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Since being diagnosed with high blood pressure a few years ago, I've had to cut out the salt (and watch the salty foods), get more exercise, and take medication. Of course, the Internet has no end of suggestions to manage blood pressure, from prune juice to garlic.

For those of you in a similar condition, do you take medication or manage your blood pressure with diet/exercise/other means?
    Get the right doctor. Mine told me hypertension and salt interaction was predominantly an African American thing, that due to black people dying on slave ships with a high salt diet, they are more susceptible to salt that white people. I like that explanation, along with puking blood after serious drinking wasn’t an ulcer but ruptured throat linings. Who wants to give up booze and salt? Freaking love this guy (no homo).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    Get the right doctor. Mine told me hypertension and salt interaction was predominantly an African American thing, that due to black people dying on slave ships with a high salt diet, they are more susceptible to salt that white people. I like that explanation, along with puking blood after serious drinking wasn’t an ulcer but ruptured throat linings. Who wants to give up booze and salt? Freaking love this guy (no homo).
    African American blacks are MORE sensitive to salt than other races, but everyone with high blood pressure should be mindful of sodium

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Vegan is woke crap !
    Eat veggies with your meat sure but the whole vegan thing is crap and studies are showing this more and more do not buy into the modern woke idiocy of vegan eating !

Look up bone density and TOFI
    They sugar coat the bone density and massive visceral fat issues they all have in common !

Yes you can feel better short term going vegan for cutting out some crap but still eat crap oils crap grains so never heal and never get rid of inflammation completely etc. so its better for cutting out some sugars but not better healthy you then loose other areas just bad news !

No athlete that is vegan ever seems to get away with it for very long before they quit or often benched with massive injuries that do not heal and have major issues OR they are doing so much supplementing and lying about being one just to be woke vegan bend a knee types !

Vegan is up there with common sense gun laws and carbon tax they will tell you its better this way

Free country but open your eyes before you go vegan
    Vegan just means no animal products but it’s only as healthy as you make it. French fries and many processed foods are vegan but terrible for you.

But a proper whole food plant based (WFPB) diet isn’t woke...you will find it referred in the Bible! Check Daniel 1:8-16

And many cultures have been largely plant based for many many years and had almost zero trace of cancers or heart disease until they were introduced to our western SAD way of life. Rural parts of Asia and the Middle East.

Look at the Blue Zones of the world. Their diets are very high in plants and very low in animals. They also eat some fish, which I think is okay except that our oceans are so high in mercury these days...be careful with fish.

Hundreds of verifiable success stories addressing a myriad of health issues if you really want the truth:

https://www.forksoverknives.com/success-stories/

OP, I was in my late 40’s and diagnosed with HBP, my cholesterol was above 200, and my A1C and triglycerides were spiking. Went WFPB for a few years and ALL lab work improved immediately and stayed good. In my late 50’s now and still mainly WFPB and eat very limited animal products. Cholesterol was under 130, all labs great. And I have 35 lbs to lose. Even my eye exam, where they look at the optic nerve and all the other stuff behind the eye. My eye doc said he’s rarely seen veins and arteries so healthy in anyone over 30, and the colors show excellent blood flow. I believe it’s all due to eating lots of plants and little animal stuff or processed foods full of chemicals and crap.

Cant wait to hear all the BS back...folks are so invested in meat. I used to be. I’m much better off with a lot less of it.....and a lot less chemicals too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Vegan is woke crap !
    Eat veggies with your meat sure but the whole vegan thing is crap and studies are showing this more and more do not buy into the modern woke idiocy of vegan eating !

Look up bone density and TOFI
    They sugar coat the bone density and massive visceral fat issues they all have in common !

Yes you can feel better short term going vegan for cutting out some crap but still eat crap oils crap grains so never heal and never get rid of inflammation completely etc. so its better for cutting out some sugars but not better healthy you then loose other areas just bad news !

No athlete that is vegan ever seems to get away with it for very long before they quit or often benched with massive injuries that do not heal and have major issues OR they are doing so much supplementing and lying about being one just to be woke vegan bend a knee types !

Vegan is up there with common sense gun laws and carbon tax they will tell you its better this way

Free country but open your eyes before you go vegan
    Vegan just means no animal products but it’s only as healthy as you make it. French fries and many processed foods are vegan but terrible for you.

But a proper whole food plant based (WFPB) diet isn’t woke...you will find it referred in the Bible! Check Daniel 1:8-16

And many cultures have been largely plant based for many many years and had almost zero trace of cancers or heart disease until they were introduced to our western SAD way of life. Rural parts of Asia and the Middle East.

Look at the Blue Zones of the world. Their diets are very high in plants and very low in animals. They also eat some fish, which I think is okay except that our oceans are so high in mercury these days...be careful with fish.

Hundreds of verifiable success stories addressing a myriad of health issues if you really want the truth:

OP, I was in my late 40’s and diagnosed with HBP, my cholesterol was above 200, and my A1C and triglycerides were spiking. Went WFPB for a few years and ALL lab work improved immediately and stayed good. In my late 50’s now and still mainly WFPB and eat very limited animal products. Cholesterol was under 130, all labs great. And I have 35 lbs to lose. Even my eye exam, where they look at the optic nerve and all the other stuff behind the eye. My eye doc said he’s rarely seen veins and arteries so healthy in anyone over 30, and the colors show excellent blood flow. I believe it’s all due to eating lots of plants and little animal stuff or processed foods full of chemicals and crap.

Regarding the “athletes get hurt” stuff, maybe you should really look into the truth:

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

Cant wait to hear all the BS back...folks are so invested in meat. I used to be. I’m much better off with a lot less of it.....and a lot less chemicals too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Be aware that most veggies and restaurants often have extremely high salt content as they are blanched/stored in saltwater for visual appeal and to make them last longer.

Extreme examples at some big name restaurant chains involve steamed broccoli and similar with the same salt content as french fries.

You really want to deal with any hypertension even if you have to take medication like Lisinopril, as hypertension creates stress cracks in your blood vessels that then enable cholesterol / fat / sugar to stick to the artery / vein walls. (They are normally very slick like Teflon)

Put more simply, hypertension is an enabler/accelerator for coronary artery disease along with excess blood sugar.

Feedback Score
    If you keep yourself well hydrated you will expel a good amount of sodium through out the day. Being active/exercising will expel quite a bit as well. It is not simply straight about sodium intake.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post

Regarding the “athletes get hurt” stuff, maybe you should really look into the truth:

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

I've accomplished basically the same thing on a lower carb diet (definitely not keto) with plenty of meat consumption. Just getting rid of processed sugar and breads will accomplish 90% of what you do. I have the luxury of having a good level of available wild game meat to eat, but that doesn't make up our entire meat consumption.

Cutting out sugar and breads with no regard to any other carb counting, my wife cut her A1C from 6.1 to 5.1 in 6 months just by eating decent meals consisting of meats and vegetables. She also got her blood pressure into a good range and the doctor allowed her off her BP meds.

As for me, while being technically obese, I have never had a BP or cholesterol issue and I'm 52. I've avoided processed food, breads and sugars for over a decade, yet I still consume too many calories, which keeps me fat.

Bottom line is that food choices have to be a lifetime thing. No way I'm surviving living in Alaska eating a fruit and veggie diet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    If you keep yourself well hydrated you will expel a good amount of sodium through out the day. Being active/exercising will expel quite a bit as well. It is not simply straight about sodium intake.
    Hydration is really underrated. I try to drink at least a cup of filtered water before each meal and a cup or more while eating. It helps my digestion and I get full faster before I have the chance to overeat.

I feel better and have less muscle cramping and fatigue. A huge benefit for me is I sleep A LOT better.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having meat in moderation. Everything should be in moderation anyway. I just stay away from cured meats when I can and try to get fairly lean, unprocessed cuts.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Been on the same BP meds since I was in my early 30's. At that time I was in solid shape, working out and active. BP issue was discovered during a cardiac stress test for a job application.

In the 20+ years since and after bulged discs, broken facets, a replaced ACL, and torn rotator cuffs, my workouts are much more limited, but I get in a lot of cardio and I actively officiate high school sports so I'm running a lot.

On the same meds the whole time and differences in diet and exercise haven't changed the numbers one way or another since the initial change when I started the meds. The dosages I'm on are on the low end of the scale and I have never noticed side effects.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    None of us had high blood pressure till my sister married a Yankee..........

cause and effect? Probably not but funny as hell when someone asks when it started.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast