Thread: Current events and your CCW weapon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Current events and your CCW weapon

Have mulled this over for a couple years but this recent spate of shootings (certainly no worse than others have been) has me seriously reconsidering my CCW options. This FedEx thing last night and the thought of facing a semi-auto/30rd rifle with a handgun kind of jerked me out of complacency.

I've always been a "smaller is better" kind of guy with regards to a CCW choice; not meaning caliber mind you, but physical size. This last decade+ it's been 9mm with 147gr HST. Be it the likes of a Glock 43, P365, S&W Shield, Walther PPS M2, etc. you get my drift. Sure, the Ruger LCP is soooo easy to just drop in the pocket of your comfy summer shorts for a quick run up to the gas station, but it's only a .380.

I have carried the Glock 19 before but I prefer IWB and it isn't the most slim or compact of pistols for that mission. Not horrible mind you, but it reminds you it's there. The Glock 19 (especially it's capacity) is the direction I'm thinking in this CCW "epiphany". The only drawback I see is the aforementioned relative comfort. However, 15rds of ammo beats 6 or 7.

That leads me to a choice which is dependent on an "odd-man-out factor": the magazine. I like the thought of the Glock 43X with 15rd Shield Arms magazines. The pistol itself feels good in the hand and is nice and slim. The Shield Arms mags offer Glock 19 capacity but aren't the proven OEM mags the 19 uses, so there's that. Plus, those Shield Arms mags are $70+ if you can find them (company is perpetually out of stock and Gunbroker is your only resort). Assuming the mags are thoroughly vetted and tested I might look in the general direction of a Glock 43X + 15rd mags.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-16-21 at 20:17.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!