Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phrobis M9 replacement slide? (Historical)

Feedback Score
    I was issued a 92F in 1989 (by the LE agency I’m now retired from) and I carried i5 for close to a dozen years. I don’t remember any FTF’s (other than those intentionally set up in training). The Armorer replaced the locking block on all the 92’s near the end of their service lives. During the annual inspection, the Armorer would strike the slide with a small hammer (evidently a cracked slide sounds different). I don’t remember anything ever breaking on mine and I put a lot of rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In the Special Forces company I commanded we issued two M9s per soldier and it was his responsibility to track the number of rounds fired. At 5500, that pistol was turned in and he'd get a new one (usually one per 6-week alert cycle).

My son's (Italian production) 92F is on its third barrel and fourth locking block, still original slide. He says it still shoots great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I knew a guy who had one of these on an —OLD— Taurus 92.

I just thought it was how the Taurus he had
    was. All these years later it was some improved slide.

He was kinda down-rangy so it makes sense in retrospect. Oh the questions I have now.

Feedback Score
    Phrobis claimed that their slides (milled from 4340 barstock) improved accuracy by means of "close tolerances and a longer lockup time". Don't know if Navy testing ever proved or disproved that claim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12