Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida's anti-rioting bill

Feedback Score

Florida's anti-rioting bill

It's about time government stands on the side of the law-abiding citizen... thump.

---------------

DeSantis signs Florida's 'anti-riot' bill into law

The law, which goes into effect immediately, grants civil legal immunity to people who drive through protesters blocking a road and allows authorities to hold arrested demonstrators from posting bail until after their first court date. The legislation increases the charge for battery on a police officer during a riot and adds language that could force local governments to justify a reduction in law enforcement budgets.

The bill allows people to sue local governments over personal or property damages if they were determined to have interfered with law enforcement response during civil unrest. It also increases penalties for protesters who block roadways or deface public monuments and creates a new crime, "mob intimidation."

Republicans say the bill would protect law enforcement officers and help prevent public disorder following recent unrest in the U.S.

Civil rights, social justice groups, and Democrats say it is an unconstitutional attack on free speech that would make it easier for law enforcement to charge those involved in a protest.

More here: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/des...-bill-into-law
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-20-21 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’d like to see some states alter their laws to allow for the use of deadly force in defense of property during civil unrest. Not necessarily so people can just cap anyone stealing a TV. Rather so people trying to defend their businesses or other property from being destroyed or burnt to the ground don’t have to be quite so hobbled by fears of legal repercussions, which might lead them to hesitate to respond until the attack has already escalated to the point where it’s a lost cause.
    Being a citizen defending what’s yours during these riot situations can be risky on multiple levels.
    I don’t think people should have to decide between avoiding prison but losing everything they have and protecting their livelihood but potentially going to prison because some activist DA wants to make an example of them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will that law be enforced when conservatives riot?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    You must be thinking of that one day this century? The day a couple windows were broken and a Cop had a stroke?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-20-21 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    Democrats will hate this bill .... until they’re in charge. I’m always leery of this type of legislation as it can be used by whoever is in power to silence dissent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    Democrats will hate this bill .... until they’re in charge. I’m always leery of this type of legislation as it can be used by whoever is in power to silence dissent.
    No it's an anti-asshole law. You DO NOT have a right to block traffic and threaten/intimidate drivers. If it has been a properly permitted peaceful demonstration and roads have been blocked off officially, then traffic can be redirected around it. There should NEVER be a permitted "protest" in residential neighborhoods, only public areas like a town square or such.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    No it's an anti-asshole law. You DO NOT have a right to block traffic and threaten/intimidate drivers. If it has been a properly permitted peaceful demonstration and roads have been blocked off officially, then traffic can be redirected around it. There should NEVER be a permitted "protest" in residential neighborhoods, only public areas like a town square or such.
    I’m on your side. My point is I don’t need a law to give me permission to preserve my life and property, that’s a natural right. These types of laws have a habit of turning into slippery slopes and eventually used by less than scrupulous individuals in power to club their opponents. Hopefully i’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I thought that they only had insurrections according to you libtards .............
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s sad. When I finally start appreciating life; everybody else in the world has lost tthe taste for theirs.

Covid vaccines that can kill you
    Daily killings
    Excuses to kill others over what is cosmically a humbug.

Damn you all. God damn every one of you.
    Why not when I didn’t care? Why now when I actually have something to look forward to?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It’s sad. When I finally start appreciating life; everybody else in the world has lost tthe taste for theirs.

Covid vaccines that can kill you
    Daily killings
    Excuses to kill others over what is cosmically a humbug.

Damn you all. God damn every one of you.
    Why not when I didn’t care? Why now when I actually have something to look forward to?
    "Lighten up Francis!"
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast