I have both a Sig P226 and a Beretta 92FS converted to a G

The SIG has a hammer that, even in DA mode will not make contact with the rear of the firing pin unless the trigger is being pulled and is all the way to the rear position. I'm not sure about the exact internal workings, but there must be a safety plunger, bar or detent that needs to be depressed in order for the hammer to fall completely. If the trigger is not being pulled, and the gun is resting in DA mode, you cannot bump or barely flick the hammer and cause a round to go off.

The Beretta is far different. The hammer rests on the rear of the firing pin when the gun is in DA mode. If you barely flick the hammer it is very likely to reach a safety position where it stops and will not fall onto the firing pin. The gun basically remains in DA mode. I cannot get a round to go off by barely flicking the hammer and making it fall the half millimeter onto the firing pin. That's not to say that it still cannot happen though. Maybe I've only tried on string enough primers but I might find a weak primer someday. I can also not directly bump the hammer hard enough to cause a round to go off.

But still, this beretta trigger mechanism in DA mode has me concerned. Ten years ago I admittedly had a NG in my truck from a 357 lever action rifle. I had a round in the chamber and I eased the hammer home on the live round. I figured revolvers are carried like this all the time, so it was safe. Well, later in my truck I had the muzzle pointing up and but-stock on my center floorboard. I got out of the truck, grabbed the gun by the forend, picked it up and BAM! I later realized that the hammer had drug across the seat and cocked just enough to not go into safety position, but it slipped off the seat and slammed home hard enough to make the round go off. Furthermore, I tested and found that a live round with a closed hammer in that lever action rifle could be set off quite easily. Laying the gun on a bench and bumping the hammer directly did not cause a round to go off, but pointing the gun up, (bullet probably slides more to the rear) bump the hammer with heel of my hand and BAM. So these experiences have me questioning the hammer design on the Beretta.

Could the Beretta 92 hammer be flicked, slipped or bumped to make a live round go off? I have not read of any AD or ND of the Beretta's. Has anyone else realized this or know of any issues?