Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strategy for dealing with rust in weapons

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Strategy for dealing with rust in weapons

This could apply to any weapon especially weapon with stamped internals rivets etc. sometimes when I look inside my AK-47s and other stamped receiver weapons I can see a little bit of brown Rust weeping out of the internals. Does anyone have a strategy or recommended routine? I’m specifically talking about Rust that might be in between two pieces of metal riveted in together or in some deep crevice. Not hardcore rust.. In the old days on something like an AK-47 I’ll just said who gives a crap but these days with the value of these things shooting up I feel like I might want to do something to preserve them. Should I just blast WD-40 or something like that into the crevices? I know this is general discussion but this is not specifically a rifle question or a pistol question.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think this is specific to stamped weapons only?
    I've covered my AK's with a thick layer of grease.
    Lithium white grease, coat everything real good and then function the rifle several times.
    There you go...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would use ballistol or an aerosol oil or CLP. WD-40 has no place in a firearm IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    This could apply to any weapon especially weapon with stamped internals rivets etc. sometimes when I look inside my AK-47s and other stamped receiver weapons I can see a little bit of brown Rust weeping out of the internals. Does anyone have a strategy or recommended routine? I’m specifically talking about Rust that might be in between two pieces of metal riveted in together or in some deep crevice. Not hardcore rust.. In the old days on something like an AK-47 I’ll just said who gives a crap but these days with the value of these things shooting up I feel like I might want to do something to preserve them. Should I just blast WD-40 or something like that into the crevices? I know this is general discussion but this is not specifically a rifle question or a pistol question.
    Tough problem if you have active rust in between two pieces of riveted metal, that’s a failure on your part to perform appropriate preventative maintenance and lubrication. I know not cleaning or maintaining guns is the “cool guy” option these days, but it has consequences if your guns are made out of carbon steel.

Unless you can get the pieces apart and boil out the steel parts to covert the rust over to black oxide and card it off with steel wool (after soaking in acetone to remove oil), or a carding wheel to stop the rust you’re kind of screwed.

Check out Anvil Gunsmithing on YouTube for some tutorials on how to conserve and refurbish milsurps. He does a lot of rust removal (the right way) and rust bluing (the right way) than an average guy can achieve with realistic tools and skills.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Tough problem if you have active rust in between two pieces of riveted metal, that’s a failure on your part to perform appropriate preventative maintenance and lubrication. I know not cleaning or maintaining guns is the “cool guy” option these days, but it has consequences if your guns are made out of carbon steel.
    Thanks dad
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    If it makes you feel any better I’ve personally seen captured AK’s we dug up out of the ground run just fine covered in rust and gack.

Sorry if I came off like a dick.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Greg, There is a product called Black Star ($100/gal) that stops the chemical / transformation of rust...I've never tried in on firearms but have used it on deer blinds & metal building construction with good success. If I were in your shoes & wanted to preserve a cherished weapon then it may be worth a shot.

In my experience once pitting starts on a gun you gotta maintain it like madman...if you were way closer I'd give you some to try.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would use ballistol or an aerosol oil or CLP. WD-40 has no place in a firearm
    Maybe just blast it in between the parts? I was watching an interesting video and he recommended something called “sea foam.” But I’m not sure if it is safe for normal finishes

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ballistol is your ticket.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I've used WD-40 to displace water (rinse it) out of hard to get to areas followed by some real lube. Otherwise, I fully agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I would use ballistol or an aerosol oil or CLP. WD-40 has no place in a firearm IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast