Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Dinosaur...?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Jurassic Park lied to me and made me love the Velociraptor. Turns out it's the size of a turkey and they really showed the Utahraptor on screen.

So I would have to say the JP version of the Velociraptor which is really a bald Utahraptor.

I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Pretty sure nothing, not even dolphins or dogs have the intelligence of something like a chimpanzee. But any strategic thinking dinosaur on any level is gonna be a bad day. Any dinosaur with the complex thinking capacity of a wolf pack (assuming that ever existed) would be apex predators.

Always fun to think what might have happened if there was no KT event, how intelligent dinosaurs might have evolved given another 65 million years. Obviously with some species like sharks and crocs there doesn't seem to be any change at all despite opportunity and of course if they didn't all get wiped out 65 million years ago we probably wouldn't exist to talk about it.
    Just saw a story that suggests T-Rex may have formed pack like social structures.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50149507...t-tyrannosaurs
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My now 5 year old developed a love for dinosaurs at the age of 3. Me being the supportive father and reading that a interest in such things at a young age encourages brain growth. Bought him 2 really well done encyclopedias on dinosaurs and he carried them around forever. He can now name them by sight or tell you which one by their characteristics. I believe he is hooked on the anklosaorus right now since it is built like a tank with armour and whacks predators in the legs with its club tail. We obviously learned way more about dinosaurs then we ever thought we would.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Jurassic Park lied to me and made me love the Velociraptor. Turns out it's the size of a turkey and they really showed the Utahraptor on screen.

So I would have to say the JP version of the Velociraptor which is really a bald Utahraptor.

I think the JP raptors were kind of between the Utahraptor and deinonychus in size. From what I understand, Michael Crichton actually had deinonychus in mind when he was writing the book, but he chose to call them "velociraptors" because it was easier to pronounce the spelling and, let's face it, it sounds cooler than "deinonychus'.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I think the JP raptors were kind of between the Utahraptor and deinonychus in size. From what I understand, Michael Crichton actually had deinonychus in mind when he was writing the book, but he chose to call them "velociraptors" because it was easier to pronounce the spelling and, let's face it, it sounds cooler than "deinonychus'.
    Another reason is that one of the references Crichton was using was the work of paleontologist Gregory S. Paul. In 1988 Paul released the book Predatory Dinosaurs of the World (I still have my copy that I got when I was a kid in the early 90s) great book, well illustrated (Paul was and is also a renowned artist), it’s a real classic of paleontological literature. It is also very out of date and full of Paul’s unusual classifications for certain species. One widely criticized choice was Paul’s decision to classify Deinonychus antirrhopus as a member of the genus Velociraptor. Paul would later rescind this and a lot of of his other similarly questionable taxonomic classifications.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread lacks Dino Wave

Feedback Score
    Triceratops was always my favorite, followed by the brontosaurus after that.
    Nowadays though, I rather like the flying dinosaur like as flying on the video cover above (can't think of their name though).
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    Nowadays though, I rather like the flying dinosaur like as flying on the video cover above (can't think of their name though).
    Pterosaurs and pterodactyls
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    Your referring to the Rhamphorhynchus, which is a kind of pterosaur, not a dinosaur. There are a huge number of pterosaur taxa, ranging in size from tiny to as tall as a giraffe. While not dinosaurs, pterosaurs and dinosaurs do form a clade called Ornithodira and share a common ancestor.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Cool

If it's good enough for Perry Mason, it's good enough for me!

Wait... what?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast