Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birding... Anyone?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Birding... Anyone?

Probably sounds kind of funny to be asking a bunch of hard core “gun guys” about birding, but does anyone partake?

Admittedly I’ve always made fun of “birders” and birding but my wife set out some new bird feeders around the house a few weeks ago and about the same time the state fish and game department’s most recent newsletter was about songbirds and birding. Since then I’m kinda of getting into it. I live in a small mountain town and the migratory birds are starting to make their way up. I downloaded the Cornell School of Ornithology app for bird ID watching and it’s been quite enjoyable and fun.

Frankly, my life is full is stress and topped with all the BS from the last year+, and as I approach 50, finding enjoyment in simple things like this is helpful. I never thought watching a Mountain Chickadee eat out of a bird feeder or an American Robin build a nest, or learn the songs and ID each bird I hear, would be so cool. We have some great wildlife preserves and marshes in the area and I believe I’ll expand my new birding horizons this summer...

Go ahead and poke fun but anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 04-21-21 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Not funny at all. Gun Guy Of All Gun Guys Pat McNamara is a HUGE birder.

I have been getting into it more and more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, Pat Mac is into bird watching so that should set the bar on the 'manliness' factor.
    I like to dabble in it, though I'm not nearly as knowledgable as some guys I know. All of them are outdoorsmen, some of them have been into it for well over 30 years. I've been banding with them a few times and there was a weird kind of disconnect to watch guys so delicately un-snare a bird from the nets then just rip its head off because they are predators to other songbirds. Cowbirds are terminated with extreme prejudice.
    I think much of the interest comes from spending time outdoors and simply being interested in the world around oneself. My involvement is mostly limited to learning the birds that frequent where we are, out in the country. Maybe one day I'll go out in search of finding specific birds, but currently time doesn't allow and I can find my calm just by watching from my yard.

ETA - slow on the draw on the Pat Mac comment

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Not really a “birder” by the traditional sense but I do enjoy watching birds. I put a birdfeeder in our front yard last year and my girls get a huge kick out of standing at the window and watching “their cardinal” eat out of the feeder. And being a duck hunter I love to watch waterfowl anytime of day but especially the 5 to 10 minutes before shooting hours.

Feedback Score
    I flip people the bird all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Not funny at all. Gun Guy Of All Gun Guys Pat McNamara is a HUGE birder.

I have been getting into it more and more.
    Birding with PatMac seems about like hunting deer with the Kool-Aide mascot. A lot of "Oh, Yeahs" making it weird.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Birding with PatMac seems about like hunting deer with the Kool-Aide mascot. A lot of "Oh, Yeahs" making it weird.
    LOL, yeah...that would weird. "Pat, you're a 10, bro...I need you at a six or seven..."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Birding... Anyone?

Ha ha.

I didn’t know that about Mac. I took his TAPS class a hand full of years ago and loved it.

I can not only hear the “Oh, yeahs” but I can I hear the “ready, ready, break...get some...”

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I flip people the bird all the time.

Last edited by arptsprt; 04-21-21 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I saw your post and thought, I love to dove and quail hunt. I guess my read was wrong, but I live in a Bird sanctuary, they are going crazy every morning and its nice to hear them. We have multiple hummingbirds that are cool to watch. They fly like an alien ship, so fast left right up down...light speed. Very cool birds. If you have not seen them move about, its pretty cool.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I do a different kind of birding. I take a pair of Harris' hawks out hunting for rabbits nearly every day for 6 months a year. This entails going to areas with dense rabbit populations, turning the birds loose, and hiking around rough terrain for several miles trying to put the birds in good position to make a catch. We work as a team. The hawks are a little over a pound, and working together, we take down 6-7 pound jackrabbits.

This is a lot of time spent out in nature. My birds generally only go for rabbits and ignore other birds and animals in the area. Frequently they will take a high perch some distance from me, and I'll be walking alone. I see tons of other birds and animals out in the field, and the whole experience is HIGHLY enjoyable. Even on the rare day we don't bring home a rabbit or two, it was still an amazing day in the field. Every single outing is an adventure. Never know what you will see that day or what will happen. During this time, I've greatly expanded my knowledge of the local flora and fauna, including birds.

Every once in a while, someone will ask me what I'm doing walking around out in the bushes. I motion toward the birds and say, "Bird watching."

I apologize if this was too far off your topic, but what I'm getting at is that I totally understand, and share, your fascination and appreciation of your local bird and wildlife populations.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arptsprt View Post

Frankly, my life is full is stress and topped with all the BS from the last year+, and as I approach 50, finding enjoyment in simple things like this is helpful. I never thought watching a Mountain Chickadee eat out of a bird feeder or an American Robin build a nest, or learn the songs and ID each bird I hear, would be so cool. We have some great wildlife preserves and marshes in the area and I believe I’ll expand my new birding horizons this summer...

Go ahead and poke fun but anyone else?

Poke fun? If we dont find wonder and take pleasure in the world around us, why are we here?

To be honest, I get more pleasure from birds now than I did when I was younger.

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast