Thread: Went to play golf today shooting at 100 yards!

Feedback Score

Went to play golf today shooting at 100 yards!

Today went to play some golf at the range shooting at 100 Yards.
    I took my Ruger Precision 17HMR, and my Mossberg 223/556 today.
    I placed my target at 100 Yards, and Golf Ball behind target on the hill.
    So I fired Mossberg and you can see hit the golf ball flying, shot second golf ball and never found it, it also went flying someplace. I put two rounds into right target to make sure my Vortex scope was still dead on target.
    Then came the Ruger, I had two Golf Balls out there, and shot after shot, it seemed I couldn't hit it, tried another golf ball, same thing, so I just unloaded into Left target making sure the Nikon Scope was still zero in, has you can see it was on the money.
    So when the range went cold, was going to move the golf balls to another spot.
    Low and behold I was hitting them, but shooting 17HMR it didn't have enough power to put a hole in the ball, or move the ball.
    Next trip going to paint the balls Orange, easy to see them, since the range has white Coral, hard to see them, and taking Green Tips 556 Ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's like I've always said, a golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    Next trip going to paint the balls Orange, easy to see them, since the range has white Coral, hard to see them, and taking Green Tips 556 Ammo.

That SS109 ammo is not what you want for accuracy. Due to the nature of the round it is minute of mikjug fodder even with a nice match grade barrel.

You will have hell trying to tag small targets like golf balls with that junk at 100yds with any sort of consistency.

Feedback Score
    Thanks DG23 for advice, will take your advice, besides I can't find them, I hide them well, even from me, 9 ammo cans filled with different ammo I collected before the shortage.

Feedback Score
    From now on I'm going to say I'm going golfing instead of shooting, sound so much more benign.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bdvet View Post
    Thanks DG23 for advice, will take your advice, besides I can't find them, I hide them well, even from me, 9 ammo cans filled with different ammo I collected before the shortage.
    The rifles in your picture look like they could shoot golf balls all day long if supplied with good ammo.

I bought a butt ton of SS109 projectiles one time and went to great lengths to try and make them as 'accurate as possible' by hand loading them myself for carbines with really nice match grade barrels. Stupid shit like weight sorting the bullets, hand weighing different charges, trying multiple different powders...

What I came away with when all was said and done is that no matter how nice of a barrel I thought I had or how nicely it was 'set up' for tack driving - SS109's are not and never will be those 'tacks'.