Thread: Movie Review - 1944

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Movie Review - 1944

There was a lot more nuance to the second great war than most people realize, and this movie does a pretty good job covering some of it.
    The film follows two main characters and their squad from each side of the war in Estonia.
    The first character joins the Estonian conscripts to the German army after his family was "liberated" by the Russians [to Siberia].
    The other is a soldier fighting with the Russians to liberate Estonia, along with a squad of Estonian Red Army conscripts.
    Aside from being an interesting piece of historical perspective, the battles are reasonably well done, and the attention to detail is pretty good as well, such as the Estonian- German soldiers having to fight with a mixed bag of weapons from both sides. The T34s and other vehicles/artillery/etc are pretty well done too, and the sound effects aren't complete cheese, all of which is quite surprising for a small film like this. In fact the overall film is really well done for such a small production.

The only real downside is that, the only place I could find to watch it was Amazon Prime/IMDB TV, and their version is an english voice-over dub that is...really not so great at times. Apparently there is a native-language-with-subs version out there, as the clips/commercials seem to be so, I just don't know why they hosted the sub-par 'dub' edition instead.
    I'd give it an overall B- just because of the icky dub, and occasionally the small budget shows through (although rarely).

"Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Excellent movie! I watched the non-dubbed version a while back.