Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta ARX-100 current production

Feedback Score

Beretta ARX-100 current production

Judging from this picture (apparently taken this month), the ARX seems to be alive and well:

https://www.gallatinnews.com/news/ha...865ef93ac.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool,

While it may be the ugliest gun of the 21st, I have always sort of wanted on but never got around to grabbing them when they were availible, wonder what they are going to sell for going forward

Feedback Score
    Browsing various sites, $1600-ish seems to be the current price range.

Feedback Score
    I'll throw in my experience here.

TLDR version:

I owned one and had a very bad experience. Mine was a lemon that shot 6+ MOA, shoved OTM bullets back into the cases, and my experience with Beretta's CS could best be described as "unprofessional."

I cannot recommend dealing with Beretta's CS under any circumstances. They clearly have issues with conflict of interest within the company, such as having the head of production also head up warranty claims. I also suspect they have a leadership environment that encourages covering up bad numbers rather than solving product problems.

I cannot recommend the ARX100 unless the purchaser would be totally satisfied with 6-7 MOA performance with ball ammuntion, as several other owners, though not all, have reported accuracy in the same range as my example and there is no course for redress with Beretta without resorting to extremes.

Full version:

My ARX100 wouldn't shoot better than 6 MOA with any ball ammo I tried and also showed extreme setback of bullets when attempting to feed or fire OTM ammunition. I tried buying a spare barrel from Brownells with very similar results. I talked to Beretta and one of their reps told me that the gun was only designed to fire military ball and that their internal requirement was shooting 4 MOA with ball. I became hesitant after I was informed that they would charge me a $75 shop fee if I returned it under warranty and they found that my gun wasn't defective. I decided to send the gun in anyway after being reassured by another CS rep that they'd take care of me. I was charged the $75 and got the gun back with some Uehler printouts stating that the gun shot a 3 MOA group with Tula 55gr FMJ and 3.1 MOA with Hornady 55gr VMAX from a bench rest and 25x scope. This baffled me, as I hadn't been able to get anything approaching that precision with a 4x scope and targets at 100 or even 25 yards. In addition, neither ammunition type they used was military ball, and Tula in particular wasn't known for reliably producing 3 MOA performance from even precision barrels. I began to suspect some dishonest dealing on Beretta's part and was so disgusted that I put the ARX100 in the back of my safe until I had more time to deal with it and Beretta.

A year or so later, I found time to consider the issue and started over with Beretta CS. I explained that other users had rifles which performed better and that I wanted a replacement. I escalated the issue and eventually spoke with someone I later found out was their head of production. I was never more than firm and was not impolite. The man took on a condescending tone and quickly attempted to gain high ground in the conversation by insinuating that I'd committed some wrong doing by taking a year to bring the issue up again, even though I was still covered under warranty. It became apparent to me that this man was personally bothered by my insistence that there was something wrong with my rifle. The man told me that my only recourse was to send it in again, but with the same promise of being charged another $75 if they found no issue and absolutely no assurance that my concerns would be addressed. I told the man I found that unacceptable and that I'd like to further elevate the issue. The man indicated that he was 'as high as things went,' then became belligerent, very unprofessional, and shortly thereafter hung up on me.

I was only able to get some resolution after deciding to bring things up with the Better Business Bureau. That got a quick response from BerettaUSA's corporate end and things were settled by returning my rifle for a refund.

It is my opinion that the ARX100 is an excellent design, except for the barrel retention method. I believe it would take very strict control of manufacturing processes to ensure consistent precision of even 4 MOA, let alone anything better. Beretta USA does not appear to have that capability, nor care to spend the time nor money to establish it.
    Last edited by Aries144; 04-23-21 at 18:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, Aries,

Thanks for detailing that. That is a very disappointing story.

Feedback Score
    I've heard the same story. Some users report excellent accuracy while others have disappointing results. The quick-change barrel feature has been blamed as a probable culprit, but who knows?

Feedback Score
    I think the main things to point out are: the best ones are 3 MOA guns, the worst ones seem to be 7 MOA, it's luck of the draw, and don't expect Beretta to be helpful, professional, or replace a 7 MOA example under warranty.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For $1600 there's a lot of serious competition. Sounds like one to avoid.

Feedback Score
    It's a shame. The ARX did really well in adverse condition testing. Absolutely excellent design for everything behind the barrel. I wish someone there had the vision or interest to fix it.

Feedback Score
    I believe that the accuracy issues of the ARX-100 are a Beretta USA problem, but I can't say that with absolute certainty. I'd love to hear about the accuracy of the Italian manufactured ARX-160s that are made for the Italian military because I don't think a 7 MOA rifle would be acceptable to them.

I own 3 ARX-100s, but I've only had the time to test shooting for groups with one of them... At 100 yards it was a 6 or 7 MOA at best gun and at worst it was 11 MOA depending on the ammo which was mainly M855 that I used for the testing. Though it didn't fair well with Hornady TAP T2 either, luckily it had no issues with bullets being shoved back into the cases with that ammunition. It was bad enough that I couldn't sight in an ACOG at the recommended 100 meter zeroing distance. The ACOG I was using is a TA31H-G, most shots were within the horseshoe but I couldn't get them centered behind the dot.

All just guessing here, but I'm thinking it's possibly due to the quick change barrel and maybe possibly due to the manufacturing quality of the barrels themselves.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 04-25-21 at 09:54.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast