Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm down to my last 1911

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm down to my last 1911

Sold a Brazilian Springfield 1911, the WW2 looking one, for surprising money at a gun show. Bought G21.

Now I'm down to one. Colt Mark IV s 80. I'll never sell that one but I'm virtually out of the 1911 world.

Shot them for 40 years, carried one for 20. Now replaced by plastic.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Plastic is the way of the future, but you must already know it has been.

I don't have near the experience you do with the 1911 platform. I don't carry mine either. But I have a Colt gov't series 80 and I will never part with it just because. Not because the 1911 is what our past was built on, but because it really is just a fantastic gun. Grip width, angle and trigger are what I cannot part with. Only the one for me though.

I also have but never carry a P226 and a 922FS just because that's what our military (different branches) decided were the best HG's of the time.

I own and carry 3 different gen 3 G19's.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Interesting. The transition from 1911 to Plastic/Glock is certainly a thing.

Ive carried a gun for 40+ yrs and it has been a 1911 or BHP until recently.
    Now it’s frequently a 2011/Staccato P, which still counts as a 1911 in my book.
    I do have a P365 which gets carried when minimal clothing is required.
    That’s the closest I’ve come to a Glock.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Colt Delta Elite and a Springfield MilSpec....just to have a decent Colt and the Springfield to have a basic 1911, but I carry a Glock19 or 23. A Glock is cheaper to replace if ever involved in a self defense situation. In my opinion every gun owner should at least own one 1911.

I have a Staccaco C2 and I debate with myself to sell a few guns and pick up another one

Feedback Score
    Concur with the above. Owned my norinco for 30 odd years, just got a G26 for carry. Actually liking it and thinking about a G19 to go with it.

So far those two plastic are about the only thing I've found that fits my hand and handles as well as my norinco.

Also these days where the reality of multiple opponents being what we might face is becoming a greater possibility, number of rounds available between reloads becomes a real factor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    Concur with the above. Owned my norinco for 30 odd years, just got a G26 for carry. Actually liking it and thinking about a G19 to go with it.

So far those two plastic are about the only thing I've found that fits my hand and handles as well as my norinco.

Also these days where the reality of multiple opponents being what we might face is becoming a greater possibility, number of rounds available between reloads becomes a real factor.
    Damn brother- 8 posts since 2009? WHEREYOUBEENAT?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I think every gun owner/collector/hobbyist should have at least one 1911, merely because of its historical significance. Not my EDC, but they are fun to shoot. Everyone needs a range "toy".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I think every gun owner/collector/hobbyist should have at least one 1911, merely because of its historical significance. Not my EDC, but they are fun to shoot. Everyone needs a range "toy".
    I bought my range toy in 2012, a Colt .38 super. But I liked shooting so much as a super I decided a 9mm would be even more fun.. Then along comes a .22 top end. It just keeps going and going with no more adjustment or maintenance that any other firearm I've owned. I treat it with the same indifference as many treat their Glocks.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Plastic is the way of the future, but you must already know it has been.
    I hear it'll be BIG in the 1990's!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    After carrying Glocks almost exclusively for the last two decades I'm regressing in my old age. I still mostly carry a Glock daily but occasionally slip in my old 90's era Colt. In the last year I've bought several 1911's, along with chasing down ammo, ordering holsters, etc. It's now a 1911 that rides my nightstand. When I carried the 1911 in a duty belt in the 90's I always carried 4 spares so the capacity never really bothered me and still doesn't. I know statistically there's not much difference in terminal ballistics with modern ammo, if any, but I still like the .45 and don't feel at a disadvantage with it.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast