Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.3 AR pistol zeroing with or without suppressor

Feedback Score

10.3 AR pistol zeroing with or without suppressor

So I recently finished an AR pistol build that I intend to keep as a bag gun. With the law folder it’s small enough to carry in a backpack but I also have a Silencerco Omega 300 that I have for it. It is a 10.3 inch barrel so without the can it fits in a backpack good. My question is, if I intend to transport the AR without the can 90% of the time but still keep the can in the bag to keep it handy 1. Should I zero the AR without the can?
    2. If I do zero it without the can how drastic should the point of impact be at around 100 yards if I were to ever throw the can on?
    I’m super knowledgeable with ARs but this is my first time having to deal with zeroing with a can and I want to know what makes most sense. Especially since I will be carrying it in a bag where it will live most of the time and it won’t have the van on it but I will have it handy. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd definitely expect a POI shift.

1-I'd zero without the can at your preferred distance and then add the can to see how much of a shift there is.

2-With a Surefire 5.56 Socom on an 11.5 bbl, I had a shift of 3-4 MOA at 200 yards. I probably spent a 90 or so rounds that day testing POI/POA shifts. In my case, the shift was vertical.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's the real world answer-

-You won't know until you shoot the AR. It may not shift. It may shift and you can't predict what direction it'll shift until you take it to the range and put it through it's paces

-You won't know whether to sight in your AR with or without the suppressor unit you use it. Myself, I sighted in my suppressed shorties with the can installed. I don't shoot them without the can. Easy. Your application may be different than mine. But in your shoes, I'd sight it with the can. If I don't have time to install the can before going to work, it's likely to be close work where a 3-4 MOA shift isn't as critical as it would be at say, 200 yards. To put this in perspective, the most likely use for an AR like yours I would have would be potshots at jacks or coyotes while driving across the desert.

Go shoot, then decide.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Similar to what I plan with my SBR. (first can in jail now) I'm planning to zero with the can. I'll be folding the stock to fit it in the bag anyway, so that's a second or two.
    What's a few more to snap on the can? If I'm in that much of a hurry, I'll be reaching for my holster anyway...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Just zero with the suppressor, then remove it, shoot a group and take note of any shift.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is what I’d probably do:
    With irons, zero without suppressor, mark your elevation and windage on the front and rear sights with a paint pen, then zero with the suppressor and mark that elevation and windage with a different color of paint pen.

With an optic, zero without suppressor, then zero with suppressor and take note of how many windage and elevation clicks L/R or Up/Down from your unsuppressed zero it required and note this on small sticker or piece of tape or something stuck to the stock/brace or on the optic itself.

Now granted I’m nobody, but I am pretty OCD about my zeroes.

Feedback Score
    I’m gonna zero without the can and then see how much POI shift I have with my can on. Also what zero recommendations for a 10.3? I’ve heard of a lot of them. Gun’s gonna have use for 100 yards and in.

Feedback Score
    Zero at 100 with and without can using your bad guy ammo. Record any POI shift in your data book.

How can you shoot a bad guy in public with innocent bystanders around responsibly and with confidence without knowing your weapons POA/POI with and without the can?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    1) get it on paper at 100.
    2) shoot a 10 round group each suppressed and unsuppressed.
    3) are they touching/overlapping? If so, goto 4. If not, goto 6.
    4) turn dials until the unsuppressed and suppressed composite POI groups cover your POA.
    5) never shoot it loud again.
    6) next zero, just do it with the can, and see step 5.

This technique can be used to cover a 2 minute shift on a 2 minute gun, or a 4moa shift on a 4moa gun, etc.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I’m gonna zero it with just the flash can on this week probably and then throw the silencer on there and see what the POI shift is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast